Magic Jack Reviews

Category Buying
Using your computer for telephone services may save you money. This guide contains Magic Jack reviews.

I bought the Magic Jack telephone device about a month ago. It is great and I am no longer paying out a monthly telephone bill. It costs $40.00 to buy and the first year is included in the purchase price. After that, it's $20.00 per year. No monthly phone bill.

You need a computer because that provides your connection. It connects to a USB port on your computer and the telephone connects into the device. You have long distance and the caller's number shows on your computer screen. You can also put in names and numbers of family and friends just like a regular telephone.

I think this is great and it saves you so much money. I was paying $45.00 every month for my house phone and I didn't have long distance. This is wonderful for anyone looking for ways to control their monthly expenses. With the costs of everything lately and so much unemployment, this could be a big help to many.

Source: Magic Jack TV ad

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

I am thinking about buying a Magicjack. Can anyone let me know if you would buy it again?

By Irmi

Answers

Absolutely recommend a Magic Jack as long as you have a high speed internet connection. The standard Magic Jack requires a computer with a USB port to work but the "Plus" can be used as a stand alone device that allows you to plug your phone into the box or will also work directly off of a USB port of your computer the choice is yours.

I purchased the MagicJack a year ago, just sorry I waited so long. Initally I had a problem hooking it up without my computer, contacted customer service and in no time I was up and running.

Since then haven't had one problem, no different in sound quality, etc. from the years I had Time-Warner.

I have had MagicJack Plus for a year and like it very much. Quality is good and like having no monthly Phone bills. No sound quality loss at all.
Previously had MagicJack but did not like leaving the computer on all the time.

Is Magic Jack worthwhile?

Thanks.

Chuck

Answers:

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I bought the Magic Jack, and promptly took it back after only a week! The reception on my phone was terrible using it. Plus every time an email or an IM or anything else came through my computer the person I was talking to could hear it, to the point that he couldn't hear me! Plus if my computer even slowed down, I'd lose phone service. It was absolutely terrible!

If you do decide to get one, get it from Radio Shack. They were real nice about taking it back and giving me all of my money back. (07/23/2009)

By Cricket

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I am on my second year of using the MJ. I learned how to adjust the volume and speaker and have no problems hearing anyone. One thing I have noticed, at high internet usage times it cuts out sometimes, other than that no problems (07/24/2009)

By Pam Ela

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Before you purchase this product, check their FAQ's section regarding what area codes are available. I live in Washington state and was given an Alabama area code! The only person I spoke with on it was my daughter who has one also so doesn't pay for long distance calls. MJ says that more area codes will become available and there is the possibility of being able to "port" your current home phone number to MJ.

In the meantime I've unhooked my unit until they fulfill their promises. The reception was great the few time we spoke, though. (07/27/2009)

By S Durgeloh

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I took it with me when I went to Dubai and Kuwaut in Dec 2008, it worked great, saved me tons of money on LD, I bought another unit and gave to my sister in Dubai, I call her on it and she calls me all the time, saves us the ld charges. (07/29/2009)

By Al solo

Magic Jack Annoying popup ads

I found a great little program that hides the Magic Jack screen and still allows you to use your phone. It stops those infuriating popup ads and the little clicking sound that goes with them. You can enable/disable this program anytime you like. Its called "magichide" Do a google search for download - It's FREE! :) (09/26/2009)

By Pete

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I purchased one just a few months ago. And it seems to work fine. When someone is using the internet and opens a new page it may have a pause in the conversation, but other than that it works great. The connection is great. (01/07/2010)

By TwoTimesTwo

Does anyone have any experience with that phone service which uses an internet connection to work? It costs only a $20.00 annual fee. I think its called Smart Jack or Phone Jack. It sounds too good to be true!

By Joan from Lewes, DE

Answers:

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Yep, I have one and like it. I do have a few problems every now and then but mostly when the other person is on a cell phone and they are moving or in a car, otherwise it's well worth it. They are now selling them at Wal-Mart.

(05/11/2009)

By Louise snyder

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have one and have had it for almost a year. It's worth the $20. You get so much more than your moneys worth. I travel outside the US and it works excellently as long as the dsl connection is strong. My problem has been that it is choppy outside the US, but worth every penny. (05/18/2009)

By Lateefah

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have one and love it. We only have cell phones so this is great. You can even set it to forward unanswered calls to another number if you want. The cost is so worth every penny. (05/19/2009)

By Julie Torres

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

This post is a bit off topic, but I thought I would insert into the discussion, just as food for thought. I think it is important to have a land line to your home for safety reasons. It costs very little to have one phone that isn't cordless, so that you can phone when there is a power outage (I spent a pleasant hour on the phone chatting to my mom in a winter evening power outage). Of course, you can call on your cell phone then, but what if your phone is low on charge? Or the outage lasts more than a few hours? No phone.

Cell phones towers can become overloaded in an emergency, and then you cannot make your call. This never happens with a land line. I didn't realize that this could happen, until a major blizzard in nearby city, and everyone was using their phones at the same time. No phone.

I also know there is some issue with 911 service on the internet phone service. I have forgotten the details on this, just that you couldn't call 911.

As far as free long distance, I have used both MSN and Yahoo on a regular basis (and have friends who use Skype) for voice calls computer to computer, and am completely satisfied with this. I have not used it phone to computer, so I can't say anything about that. (05/19/2009)

By Louise B.

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I agree with louel53 you need to have at least one phone with a line for safety. Sometimes cell phones can't be counted on in an emergency, plus you need to be sure and not forget to charge your phone. (05/19/2009)

By Teresa Tart

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have MagicJack and like it very much. Certainly well worth the $20 a year to me. Your computer has to be on but you can forward calls from MagicJack to any number and turn off your computer. It has free info and all services such as call waiting etc. It is not a rip off in my opinion, as some have said. (05/19/2009)

By lavonneann

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I used my magic jack here in the Philippines and it is good. I found a way to hack magic jack without the need for the usb device itself. I can use magic jack always and not needing the usb dongle.

I have to test it on another computer and I put my magic jack on usb and give it to my friends if they want to call in the US and Canada. It is simple to use. My aunt gave it to my uncle and I have been using it and hack the magic jack so he could use that also.

I will keep you posted if the hack works because it works for me in my computer, Vista sp2. The call and voice quality is superb and brilliant and clear as the original. I am looking forward that it will work on my other computer and on the usb. (07/04/2009)

By fernando

Has anyone tried the magicJack? It's the jack that plugs into the computer with a USB connection, and costs only $20 a year for use.

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried Magic Jack phone service, and what they think of it? It is used through your USB port on your computer.

Has anyone tried the new "Magic Jack" that has been advertising on the paid programming channels? It is a phone service that costs only $19.99 PER YEAR.