Get Minimum Service on Your Home Phone

I just wanted to share what I recently did to cut phone and internet costs. I signed up with ATT but I chose only the minimum phone line with no extras for $14.95+ tax. I don't need caller ID, call waiting, etc. It was costing me $43.00+ a month just for the phone. I use my cell phone mostly anyway but wanted a land line, too.

I chose the cheapest high speed internet which is $19.95+. I was paying $23.90 for AOL for the past 5 yrs and that was just for the dialup service not including have a phone line.

I chose not to add ATT as my long distance carrier because I have unlimited weekend and after 9:00pm calling on my cell phone. I just call on the weekends or after 9:00pm.

I purchase long distance calling cards at Dollar Tree, 99 minutes for $1.00. Of course, they don't let you use them at pay phones, I don't think, but that way in case of an emergency, I can call someone during the day or if I'm on vacation and don't want to use my cell phone minutes or am close to going over my cell phone minutes, etc.

I also send these cards to my friends and relatives in letters or cards so they can call me on the cheap. You never know if someone's financial picture can keep them from calling or not. But those 99 minute phone cards can let us stay in touch more often. A lot of my friends and family never heard of Dollar Tree until I tell them in my letter and phone calls so I am spreading my frugal tips that way too.

By Evey from Manvel, TX

Golly, what a great tip. I never thought about using Dollar Tree for phone cards! I've been hunting for 'cheap' minutes, and the best I can do, instate, is 5 cents a minute, BUT it uses up to 37 minutes PLUS per phone call. TOO EXPENSIVE!! Thanks for the tip! Carol

Another thing about prepaid phone cards...if you're going on vacation in a place with no cell phone reception, you're stuck without a phone card. I spent a couple weeks in the mountains in western North Carolina in a cabin with a phone, but I had to go back out to get a phone card because my cell wouldn't work at matter where I tried. Just a thought if you might be in that situation.

What company do you get your high speed internet for only $15?

I had already made the change on internet service (like you) and have been thinking about making some changes on the home phone (thinking like you also in wanting to cut costs). My question is what do you tell AT&T when they ask who you want for your long distance carrier? Several years ago I tried this, and they gave me a hard time about it when I said "no one". Then they charged an outragous amount per minute for the very few long distance calls I did make. Just wondered what the current "correct" answer is for a carrier or how they bill if you don't chose a carrier? I'd really appreciate any info or advice as I hope to make this change soon.

Also, THANKS so much for the tip on Dollar Tree minute cards! I shop there sometimes but never noticed minute cards there before. I'll sure be looking next time I go!

Evey, I went to Dollar Tree yesterday to purchase several of the 99 minutes for $1.00 long distance calling cards. The district manager was there and told me they do not have such a calling card. They only have the 35 minutes for $1.00. I was in Houston, TX.

I'd like to know which Dollar Tree store you purchased your calling cards from. Seems to me that the district manager would be aware of the card you posted about. I have to tell you he looked at me like I was in dreamland. Again, I would very much appreciate you letting me know which store you purchased these calling cards from.

Where are there any operating pay phones? Why pay $15.00/month for phone service, when you can get a MagicJack for $20.00/year? The hardware costs $70.00 to get started. It will pay for itself for itself in five months. That includes long distance service. You can also use Skype cheaper if you can get it setup.

Hi - you have to remember to look at the date this was first published.

In this case - 2008 - so it is possible that Dollar Tree had this type of phone cards - but not now for sure!

Yes, this post is very outdated. Now, you can call free with your cell phone, so there would be no reason to need calling cards to use for long distance....

A photo of an old phone.
Saving Money on Your Phone Bill
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 18, 2008
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books
Banki ATM machine.
Banks With No Minimum Balance Requirement