Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

What is a good idea for a talent show skit?

By junebugg

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Patty [4]10/13/2010

I found this one on youtube. This is only if you want something funny and not serious. It's synchronized swimming on stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86qKQJg3Z8&feature=related

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]10/10/2010

Andawhat's idea was exactly what I was going to suggest, performing a song vocally and in sign language. I remember some sign language and "sign-sing" to myself some at church, and get positive comments. One song it would be funny to do is called "If I Had a Million Dollars." I think it's really meant for two people, but my son-in-law sang it solo for karaoke at my family reunion this August.
If you're a musician, including percussion, do a few cadences you like. That was a very popular act at my recent high school reunion. Other thoughts include martial arts, juggling, gymnastics or tumbling. My senior year of high school, one gal did an act with hula hoops, dozens of them. I still remember that!
Last thought: work up a dance routine and perform it, if dance is your thing. At one talent show at my high school when my kids were in attendance, two separate groups did dance routines that were very well received. The point of a talent show is to show off your own unique talent. Have fun!

By Louise B. [4]10/08/2010

Kids at our school have sometimes acted out songs while one kid lip synced to the tune. These usually have to be some kind of novelty song. The one I remember was a fellow singing about all the girls he had loved "little bit of Monica on the..." and so on. On a less risque note, I've had kids sing and act out songs like Turkey in the Straw, dressed as hillbillies. Another thing that works well is to act out an elaborate joke, sometimes you get some things sent to you via the internet, that you can work up into a skit.

Our high school kids have also done some spoofs of commercials that are popular at the time, giving the end a twist. You could also go to the library and see if they have any books of short skits and plays. I have one, old as the hills, called "Snappy Blackouts" that I have used many times for little scripted plays, they are all sort of elaborate jokes, with a snappy punch line, so one could work up ones own from a joke that you found. Another funny skit kids did when I was in school was to act out a story from a professional comedian's bit, our boys did "Noah builds an ark" from a Bill Cosby routine.

By Anda [4]10/06/2010

I partnered with a friend in junior high and we did a song vocally and in sign language. It went over really well. It would also be fun to act out a favorite book or write a script that parodies pop culture (ex Twilight, etc). I've also seen a skit where the performer did a kind of how-to speech, then demonstrated his skill (juggling). :)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

We are having a school wide talent show. I was wondering if anyone has some ideas for a few acts?

By Guadablo

RE: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

Well the big question would be "What can you do"? And then the answer would be "Do it".
  • sing
  • dance
  • juggle
  • acrobatics
  • play an instrument
  • throw darts/knives (get it OKed by the school)
  • martial arts
  • present the safeties and techniques of mountain climbing (01/08/2010)

By Suntydt

RE: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

When I was in college, there were two or three girls that entered a talent contest, and did a really cute, good dance routine. None of them had dance experience. They called it an interpretive dance, they picked a song and make up their own dance routine to the words and music. They wore white jumpsuits, with a bright colored sash around the waist. This was back in the early sixties, but every now and then when I am reminiscing I think about these girls and how good they were considering they weren't actually dancers, cheerleaders, or any thing like that. (01/12/2010)

By redhatterb

RE: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

I'd say the same: use what you're good at. The year I was a HS senior, one fellow did two comedy things: he recited a silly poem (something about losing socks in the wash driving him to drink) and then he sang "The Lumberjack Song" (from Monty Python).

Another student, a young lady, was great with hula hoops, so that was what she did. It was so impressive, I still think of it 30 years later, lol!

One talent show I remember from my own kids' HS days: a group of young ladies who weren't cheerleaders or dance team members did a dance routine and outdid the dance team! (01/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

When my girls were 8 and 11 years old, their school, had a talent show. They won! By lip syncing to songs from The Sound of Music (16 going on 17), dressed for the part and for the finale, Mary Poppins, (Jolly Holiday). I just went through a few dance steps with them and I was very surprised how everyone really enjoyed them. Hope this helps. (01/19/2010)

By CAKEDEC

RE: Ideas for School Talent Show Acts

My daughter's friend had a trained bird. It was so neat watching her and her bird to tricks and interact together. People were in awe and laughed, at the end, very loud applause. (01/26/2010)

By eyerishrose

• Answer This Question