Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Why Does My Kitten Nibble on My Face?

Why does my kitten nibble at my face? It is not like she is trying to hurt me. She just puts her nose to my face and then gently bites my skin and holds on.

By Laticia and Michael from Dallas, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By tahlula [4]06/12/2010

She's probably attempting to suckle. Even when they are considered adoptable at 6 weeks old, it is still early for maternal separation/weaning for some kittens. Some kittens will similarly knead their caregivers, blankets, stuffed animals etc because this is how they would have gotten the milk to flow with the mama cat.

Basically, both actions are bonding behaviors - something some cats will continue to do throughout their lives when they are content or sometimes when they are looking for comfort. If she's bothering you, a gentle redirection is all that is needed.

By tahlula [4]06/12/2010

Basically, both actions are bonding behaviors, something some cats will continue to do throughout their lives when they are content or sometimes when they are looking for comfort. If she's bothering you, a gentle redirection is all that is needed.

By lisa [3]06/11/2010

She's probably teething. Or it could be that she likes the taste of your makeup or lotion. When my kittens were teething, I purchased some small chew toys for them. When they bit something inappropriate, like me, I would tell them no and then encourage them to bite the chew toy.