Doing Your Own Dog Grooming

I have 3 toy poodles that I spend too much money getting groomed. Can anyone tell me how I can learn to do this myself? I really need some help with this. Thanks.

ms. grammie

By ms. grammie from Utah

This is a video link that can give you pointers for your breed, the toy poodle. I groom both my cockers during the warm months and it takes patience and time. You may learn what your dog is not comfortable about and then figure out how to ease the situation so the dog is more agreeable. I keep the clippers cooled down and use this time to let them walk around a little before continuing. Good luck and make it a fun experience for you and the dog.

http://www.happytailsgrooming.co.uk ... -grooming-how-to-groom-a-toy-poodle/

Hello Ms.Grammie,

Grooming is not difficult. I have groomed dogs for 7 years and I can tell you it takes: patience, understanding and love. Ask to watch a groomer at your local vet or PetSmart. Good Clippers cost about $200.00, far less than you would spend on groom appointments. Love and Peace Sharon in Turkey

About the cost for clippers, human hair clippers are usually not sturdy enough to withstand dog hair, but you can probably get a good deal at a pet dept store, like Petco, or PetsMart, or search online for 'pet supplies', for sites like Drs Foster and Smith, and Carealot Pets. And I am sure that your current groomer wouldn't mind giving you some tips on both the equipment and the procedure. They should understand about the cost, and would want your babies to have their hair cut, whether they do it or not.

You can learn a bunch from YouTube videos.

Ms Grammie, these people are right. It's not difficult. It just takes a lot of patience and persistence. Go to PetCo or PetSmart and pick up a pair of dog clippers. Like the one lady said, human clippers just aren't sturdy enough.

Also, pick up a video AND a book on clipping. When you've got the dog on the table is not the time to be trying to read a book. But having a video going on tv with the remote handy for rewinding is great. The book is great to have to read between times and to clarify things.

Another hint, until you get good at it, only do one dog per day. Learning on a live dog can get awfully frustrating. So just do one a day till you get the hang of it and till your dogs get used to it.

<p>Another tip. Go to WalMart in the tool department and pick up a Dremel too. I saw them the other day for $25, and I have been using one on my Dachshunds for years. The Pedi-thing that they sell is way too big for use on a toy poodle. The Dremel tool is small and easy to handle. Just be sure it's cordless. But this will be much safer for doing their nails with too. You may want to start off just doing one paw per day tho till they get used to it. But after a while they won't mind it at all. One of my dogs sleeps through it!

<p>My mother bred and raised mini poodles for many years when I was growing up. Many times we'd have up to 25 dogs to groom, so you know we had to learn to do it ourselves! LOL If you need any more help just contact me. I'd be happy to help all I can!

Honestly, with poodles you really are better off sending them to the groomers. Their fur is hard to maintain without professional help. Another thing to consider is that if you start grooming at home you'll have to start removing the hair from inside their ears, which the groomer does, and which is kind of traumatic, I think, and you'll have to get the hair around their eyes, mouths, and between their paws, which i know from experience, isn't particularly easy with a poodle. Poodles are just high maintenance, and trying to groom them yourself is likely to becomes a full time job. Maybe you just need to find a cheaper groomer?

Pets Dogs GroomingAugust 6, 2009
Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Your Dog, Cocker puppy in a tub with a rubber duckie.
Grooming Your Dog
Cute terrier being combed.
Saving Money on Dog Grooming
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
🎉
🎄