Bread Pudding in a Mug

contest winner icon

When my children were in their elementary and middle schools, they never really liked oatmeal for breakfast. However, they loved this, and they both liked to be creative with this recipe. I liked them eating more nutritionally. The recipe is smooth and pudding like, and bread pudding has often been comfort food for others.

• 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
  • 1 slice of bread
  • optional favorites added (raisin, chopped apple, cinnamon, vanilla, whatever you would like in it)

Directions:

Break the egg into a mug, and beat the egg with a fork. Add the milk and sugar to stir (also optional ingredients then too), and then tear up one piece of bread into the mug, and with the fork, press the bread pieces into the egg/milk mixture to moisten the bread. (if there are optional ingredients, bring those ingredients up in with the bread so they are all mixed)

It usually only takes about 2 minutes microwaved, but, depending on what type of bread used, so microwave for one minute, and then add 30 seconds until you see the bread pudding raising up over the mug about 1/2 inch, and it looks like it's going to crawl out of the mug ;) then it is definitely done.

The kids liked larger mugs, because they would put sugar or honey and milk on the pudding, and it left enough room for adding in the milk.

Servings: 1
Time:1-3 Minutes Preparation Time
2 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: I belive it is from Vicky Lansky's "Feed Me, I'm Yours"

By kas2 from Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks so much. This is ideal for just one in household. Am anxious to try it. Would you happen to also have a recipe for rice pudding for one?

Hi jsham, I don't have a recipe for it, but, I think you could probably do the same thing with the egg and milk, and most likely with sugar too. The egg and milk will make custard, and you can even have some more milk with the egg, it will still turn into custard, I've added up to about 3/4 milk with one egg and it worked well. I don't know about 1 cup milk though, could try it though.

Then, instead of bread, put some cold cooked rice, or even try it with instant rice, that may need a few more minutes for the instant rice, I suspect anyway. Cinnamon? raisins? vanilla? Give it a try making it in a mug. :)

I also leave the sugar off of the bread pudding, and I use Stevia or Blue Agave syrup on the pudding afterwards.

I also too found that using up bread heels or stale bread with milk and an egg or two in the blender, it does make pancakes. They are not the fluffiest, but, they do taste better than bread heels. :) Just blend until it looks like thicker pancake batter.

What a great recipe. I live alone and am always looking for something easy to fix for myself. This sounds so good and I love bread pudding. Will print it out and paste to inside of my cupboard. Thanks

Bread Pudding in a Mug
Bread Pudding in a Mug
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastOctober 26, 2009
Bread for Bread Pudding
Bread for Making Bread Pudding
Bread Pudding
Bread Pudding Recipes
Chocolate pudding in a bowl with a spoon.
Saving Money on Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding Recipes
🎄