Bread for Making Bread Pudding

Category Desserts
Bread for Bread Pudding
There is no hard and fast rule about the type of bread used to make a bread pudding. This is a guide about bread for making bread pudding.

For richer, sweeter bread pudding, get day old cinnamon rolls instead of bread. They taste so much better and you save money. The cinnamon rolls are always discounted.

By mamacrafter

I use leftover donuts, cinnamon rolls, baked goods when I make bread pudding.

Use your favorite bread pudding recipe and substitute the above for the bread it calls for. If the rolls have a lot of frosting on them, cut back a little on the sugar.

I don't have an exact recipe, and I don't measure, but this is about what I did in today's batch:

Directions:

Use a large casserole dish. Put in 3 eggs, about a cup of milk, a tablespoon of honey, a shake of salt, a couple shakes of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of vanilla. Mix it all together. Break up a large cinnamon roll into bite size pieces and add to the mixture. Stir in a handful of raisins. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave on high for another 5 minutes.

By Coleen from Alaska

I buy day old cinnamon raisin bread to make bread pudding. Many of the ingredients are already in the bread.

By Beverly from Carlsbad, CA

Answers:

Day Old Cinnamon Raisin Bread For Pudding

I never thought about raisin bread that way until today. Thanks for the tip. (10/20/2010)

By xintexas

Any idea on what to do with the "butt" ends of bread?

By monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

Answers:

Uses for Bread Heels

I use mine as a chance to save some money later. Crumble the bread into a large deep freezer bag and add to it as you go along. It makes great last minute bread crumbs for breading, and the Thanksgiving shopping list is one item shorter! Just pull them out a few days before the big dinner and let them stale for your holiday stuffing. (05/08/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Uses for Bread Heels

Send 'em to me! That is my favorite part of the loaf of bread. Seriously, I put them in my freezer and when I get a good "batch" I just stick them in my blender or food processor and make breadcrumbs. Just add some garlic salt and sometimes Italian seasoning and Wal-la! You have inexpensive but very useful bread crumbs. If you don't have a food processor, you can toast the bread in the oven slowly to dry it out then crumble it with your hands after they are cooled and dry. (05/09/2009)

By Donna

Uses for Bread Heels

Cut them into chunks and make croutons by frying them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. (05/09/2009)

By ChloeA

Uses for Bread Heels

We put in the freezer, save it with stale cereal or crackers etc. Feed it to the ducks at the local pond! (05/09/2009)

By michawnpita

Uses for Bread Heels

The ends make good french toast. I also use them backwards( outside of loaf on the inside of the sandwich) to make grilled cheese. (05/16/2009)

By merlene

Uses for Bread Heels

Eat them! (05/16/2009)

By downunderchick

Uses for Bread Heels

Bread pudding. (05/17/2009)

By louel53

Uses for Bread Heels

I seem to remember reading on Thriftyfun some time ago that you can put them in your compost to provide carbs for the earthworms - they love it. (05/17/2009)

By Lynn

Uses for Bread Heels

Use them to butter corn on the cob. (05/18/2009)

By lynn59hb

Uses for Bread Heels

Put some bolognaise sauce or other filling between two of them, and place in sandwich toaster, and you have instant mini-pies.

Cut into strips and freeze, for soldiers to dip in boiled eggs.

Slather with garlic butter, cut into strips and then across, and place in warm oven to dry, for delicious croutons or snacks.

You can also use them as pizza bases. Dribble with tomato pulp, and add olives, mozzarella or any cheeses you like, sprinkle with chives. Yummy. Grill until cheese bubbles.

(05/18/2009)

By zxcvbnm

Uses for Bread Heels

Some people like to eat them, but most people seem to avoid them. Here are some uses for bread heels.

Bread Crumbs

I save the heels from all sandwich bread that we eat. No one in my family will eat the heels. I then grate them up really fine in a food processor or blender and freeze. They can be used to top casseroles and anywhere crushed cracker crumbs are needed such as meat loaf, ham loaf mix, etc. This is absolutely free! No more buying crackers when I can use the crushed bread crumbs instead! They will keep in the freezer for months.

By Beth

Cooking Uses

If you want, they can be saved in the freezer until you have enough to make stuffing, or chop them up, add a little milk and put them in your ground beef mixture to make a nice moist meatloaf. You can buzz them fresh in the blender, add a little butter and use as a topping for casseroles and scalloped potatoes.

I like to dry out - "melba" - leftover bread heals in the oven. I then 'buzz' them in the blender. They can be put in a zip-lock type bag and left in the cupboard. I like to use them for breading veal or pork chops for schnitzel.

By PoPo

Bread Pudding

In the south we store up bread not used to make great bread puddings. There are many great recipes on the web. I like to use John Folse's recipes.

By Bonnie G

For Birds

The birds would love a 'donation' of unwanted bread heels (if the squirrels didn't get to them first!)

By Claudia

Bread Pancakes

Here's the recipe.

Soak bread crumbs in water 10 minutes, add milk. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, add to bread mixture, add beaten eggs and margarine and mix well. Bake on lightly greased hot griddle. It makes about 12 cakes.

By Suzq

Flip It Over

When you're making a substantial sandwich (something other than peanut butter and jelly) simply spread your condiment onto the "crust" side and with the "bread" side facing out. I make sandwiches like this all the time. No one ever notices that it's the heel because the "bread" side is facing out just like any other sandwich. Try it once!

By Jessica

Keeping Cookies Soft

My mom used to put 2 slices of bread in her container of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, it kept them soft. They are so good.

By Diana

Stuffing

My family always places a bread heel over stuffing inside turkey or chicken. The bread heel keeps the stuffing from drying out around the opening of the cavity.

By Karen

Answers:

Uses for Bread Heels

Store piece of bread in brown sugar container, it will keep it fresh and also it will refresh hard brown sugar in a few hours. (01/17/2007)

By Diana1117

Uses for Bread Heels

I always eat the heels, they make great cinnamon toast. (01/22/2007)

By wichypoo

Uses for Bread Heels

We put butter on the white side of the bread and hold it in the palm of your hand and turn your hot ears of corn in the butter and BAM your ears have butter all over them. Kids love doing this. Use those corn on the cob holders for the ends so the kids don't burn themselves. (02/11/2007)

By Donna

Uses for Bread Heels

I was always told to keep the ends or heels as you go through the sliced loaf. This keeps the next regular piece fresher and then you will have two end or heel pieces that match when the loaf is gone. (02/11/2007)

By Bob C

Uses for Bread Heels

I have heard that bread is great for picking up small broken glass shards. I haven't had a opportunity to try it myself (thank goodness) but you might as well use the heel if you ever accidentally drop a glass. Wipe or mop the floor afterward, of course. (06/17/2008)

By Aaron's Mom