Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Shampoo For Hard Water

We have hard water in our home. Having a water softener is a long way away. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest a shampoo that can handle hard water? I find my hair is dull and flat with the build up. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from Ontario, Canada

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Nancy in NC [1]01/12/2010

Hi, Sheila,
I got this suggestion from ThriftyFun last year and I have used it satisfactorily ever since: Mix baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into liquid shampoo (I use SunSilk 'anti-flat' shampoo) to make a paste. Wet your hair very well, then scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture, rub it between your hands, and work it through your hair. You might need to repeat this for the first time or so until your hair is rid of the hard-water buildup.

The baking soda is really cheap, so it extends your shampoo. You can add a little warm water to the mixture and put it into a bottle; be sure to shake it up (end over end) before using to mix it well. You can use a vinegar spray if you want, but even with our very hard water, I get good results with a small amount of SunSilk conditioner ('anti-flat' formula) rinsed out very well, and my naturally wavy hair is soft and bouncy.

Good luck, Nancy in NC

By Poca [1]01/01/2010

We have well water so our water is hard also. I use no special brand shampoos but I do use a different shampoo once a week to wash out the hair oil, hairspray build-up, gels & mousses, etc & if wish to, put white vinegar in a spray bottle to keep in the shower & after done washing hair, spray hair all over, distribute with fingers then leave in or rinse out. The smell of the vinegar will dissipate & does not stay plus it makes your hair shiny & soft. Hope this helps,

By cathy333 [3]01/01/2010

Ion purifying solutions Hard Water Shampoo. Made by: Professional Products, Inc.

By Dena Roberts [31]01/01/2010

We have hard water also. We use sunlight dish soap to wash our hair. Works great.

By anne [10]12/31/2009

Douse your hair with vinegar after shampooing, to close the cuticle,then rinse with cool water.

By kjablue12/30/2009

We have hard well water too. I have fine hair but lots of it. It can get fly-away pretty easy if I let it get too dry. I use Aveeno Nourish + Revitalize daily and then about once a week or so I wash my hair with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo. I buy both shampoos at Walmart. Also, I never use really hot water on my hair and I rinse, rinse, rinse because it seems like it's harder to get all the shampoo out with hard water.