Washing Your Hair With Hard Water

You can buy special shampoo and conditioner for hard and soft water areas. Try the brand AreaH20 at lookfantastic.com or other places online.

8 Questions

How do I keep the iron in hard water from ruining my hair?

By Stacy from Milton, DE

Answers

I also have very hard water. I keep a small bottle with an applicator tip ( like the hair color bottles) in the shower with about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it filled the rest of the way up with water. When you are done shampooing, squeeze a little all over your hair and apply your regular conditioner. Leave on a min or two then rinse. I read this tip on a hair dresser's web site and it works for me.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts

Ditto with using the apple cider vinegar rinse. :-)

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 119 Feedbacks

Boil the water before your use it to get all of the 'yuckies' out of it. That is also how 'distilled water' is made if anyone wants to know, why buy distilled water when all you have to do is boil it, cool it off and use it.

Good luck with your situation!

Just a quick clarification to the response by Paula Jo Carr. Boiling water doesn't turn it into distilled water, it just kills any bacteria. Distillation is the process of boiling the water and re-condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving contaminants behind.

To make distilled water from boiling water, you have to capture the steam created during the boiling process and direct it into a second vessel, such as through those coiled tubes you see in a laboratory. The steam re-condenses into water in the second vessel and that water is distilled.

The boiled water in the pan is bacteria free, but not free of all of the original metals and elements, such as iron and manganese which make the water "hard." Those are still present after simply boiling.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 509 Feedbacks

My mom lives where ther is so much iron in her well water that you can see it, & she has to buy her drinking water. She has always used a cider vinegar rinse on her hair after her shampoo & even though her hair is very fine, she is always complimented by her hairdressers on how soft & pretty it is.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 407 Feedbacks

Try taking a little shampoo and mix in some salt. I have read that this is very helpful as the salt softens hard water.

Does anyone have some tips for washing hair with hard water?

We have hard water in our home. Having a water softener is a long way away. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest a shampoo that can handle hard water? I find my hair is dull and flat with the build up. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from Ontario, Canada

Answers

We have hard well water too. I have fine hair but lots of it. It can get fly-away pretty easy if I let it get too dry. I use Aveeno Nourish + Revitalize daily and then about once a week or so I wash my hair with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo.

I buy both shampoos at Walmart. Also, I never use really hot water on my hair and I rinse, rinse, rinse because it seems like it's harder to get all the shampoo out with hard water.

Douse your hair with vinegar after shampooing, to close the cuticle,then rinse with cool water.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 102 Feedbacks

We have hard water also. We use sunlight dish soap to wash our hair. Works great.

Ion purifying solutions Hard Water Shampoo. Made by: Professional Products, Inc.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 115 Feedbacks

We have well water so our water is hard also. I use no special brand shampoos but I do use a different shampoo once a week to wash out the hair oil, hairspray build-up, gels & mousses, etc & if wish to, put white vinegar in a spray bottle to keep in the shower & after done washing hair, spray hair all over, distribute with fingers then leave in or rinse out. The smell of the vinegar will dissipate & does not stay plus it makes your hair shiny & soft. Hope this helps,

Hi, Sheila,
I got this suggestion from ThriftyFun last year and I have used it satisfactorily ever since: Mix baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into liquid shampoo (I use SunSilk 'anti-flat' shampoo) to make a paste. Wet your hair very well, then scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture, rub it between your hands, and work it through your hair. You might need to repeat this for the first time or so until your hair is rid of the hard-water buildup.

The baking soda is really cheap, so it extends your shampoo. You can add a little warm water to the mixture and put it into a bottle; be sure to shake it up (end over end) before using to mix it well. You can use a vinegar spray if you want, but even with our very hard water, I get good results with a small amount of SunSilk conditioner ('anti-flat' formula) rinsed out very well, and my naturally wavy hair is soft and bouncy.

Good luck, Nancy in NC

Answer this Question

I just moved into my new apt. and it has really bad hard water. My hair feels like it's covered in wax, when I get out and it takes 10x longer to blow dry. I use Tresemee shampoo and conditioner everyday, but should I switch it up to a shampoo that will help me with my hair dilemma? If so what kind?

By Jenna E.

Answers

A vinegar rinse each time (google to find the proper proportions of vinegar and water) If it doesn't help try using a clarifying shampoo once a month, more often if you shampoo more than a couple times per week. Your usual shampoo brand likely also sells a clarifying formula as well. Both of these things help remove buildup on your hair. Also, look at your shampoo, conditioner, and any styling products you use-read the ingredients, looking for silicones and other -cones or -ones: these can coat your hair and make the effects of hard water even more difficult to handle.

If you have any way of collecting it, you'd be best off washing your hair with rainwater, which is naturally soft.

Try rinsing your hair with a solution of apple cider vinegar and water. 50/50

I heard wash with baking soda and rinse with vinegar, vinegar smell goes away as you rinse. Please let us know how this went.

Does anyone know how to get well water build up out of hair?

Does anyone know of a good way to neutralize the effects hard water has on hair?

Has anyone found a natural, organic daily shampoo and/or conditioner that works well with hard water? Our hair is so dull. Thanks.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips WashingJanuary 28, 2013
👔
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Washing-Your-Hair-With-Hard-Water-1.html