Homemade Yogurt for Intestinal Disorders

I made a batch of yogurt and took a container to my sort-of shut in neighbor, she CAN get out but rarely does. She called in a couple of days and asked if she could pay me for some more yogurt. I made a batch and took it all over to her. She came to my house (first time I had ever seen her outside!) and was all smiles.

She's a very prim and proper lady and had a hard time telling me this but felt she should so that it may help other people. She said the reason she hardly ever got out was that she had such terrible flatulence she couldn't be around anybody. She stopped going to church and dropped out of her ladies club and just stayed at home alone UNTIL she ate my yogurt! All I can figure is that something in the active culture in the starter container of yogurt I purchased helped with the problem. Whatever helped was greatly appreciated by this very kind and gentle lady who had suffered for years.

I'm going to order a Salton yogurt maker for her, buy the starter, and give her my recipes so she won't need to depend on me. I don't know why it worked but am just grateful I could have a part in helping. How about that!

Well done, you are making a positive difference to her life.

That is so awesome. Isn't God good letting you be part of someone's miracle! Blessings to you and your friend!

Bless you.

Susan in Omaha

What a wonderful act of kindness-Thank-you for setting an example-Would you give your oppinion of your Salton yogurt maker and perhaps share your favorite recipes. I have been wanting to purchase a yogurt maker, so many to decide which one is best. Reading touching letters from people like you, will help others to learn to "Pay it Forward".

God Bless You and keep you well.

How wonderful! Now, just tell me where to get the starter. I've been buying Activia, but it's dreadfully expensive. Thanks, again, for the story.

That is a wonderful story. But, I would let her know that the yogurt maker is not a way to avoid her or not help. She has made a new friend after many years as have you. If you are willing, then offer any other assistance and friendship. Best wishes1

Everyone can benefit by having a good population of 'friendlies', kept healthy by frequently enjoying live yoghurt and plenty of fiber. Good for you to help her, I've known the awful feeling of being afraid to go near people even if silent. I get my yoghurt starter at the health food stores, a bottle of live Lactobacillus, tastes like strong yoghurt itself. In the ancient days, people used to use a bit of the last batch of yoghurt and traded with others now and then.

What a nice person you are, Glenn's Mom! I suffer from the same problem as your neighbor and yogurt does help. Do tell her, though, that if she ever runs out of the homemade yogurt and buys some from the store to make sure that she buys a brand WITHOUT pectin in it. Pectin usually makes a flatulence problem worse; so she'll have to be careful which brand she buys. Out here in Calif., for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding any store brands of yogurt (even at the health and natural food stores!) that don't have pectin in them; I guess it acts as a preservative or something so that's why they've started using it in most of the brands, sigh.

I would love to have your yogurt recipe. I too am a fan of making home made yogurt. Not only does it have active culture, but it tastes so much better than store bought.

Kudos to you for helping a neighbor in need. Keep it up. The world should have more people willing to help others.

That was very nice of you.

Here is a recipe I got from the internet I have not made it yet.

Homemade Yogurt

4 cups water, divided

1 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt with active cultures 1 3/4 cups dry milk

Pour 2 cups of water into a sealable 1 quart container, and stir in the

yogurt until dissolved. Whisk in powdered milk until completely blended.

Fill with remaining water, and stir. Close the lid, and set in a warm

place for 12 to 15 hours. I use a gas oven (turned off), or even a

heating pad. Refrigerate, until chilled before serving.

What a nice bunch of comments! Thank you all.

RozzleDozzle, I just get yogurt from the health food store (think it's Nancy's or something) but what you have to do is make sure it says it contains ACTIVE cultures. Most yogurts do not. That's the key to making yogurt.

Nick, I sort of "fly by the seat of my pants" with my recipe. It starts out like this:

4 cups of milk ( I use part canned sometimes, sometimes just 2%, whatever I want)

1/2 c. powdered dry milk

1/4 to 1/2 c sugar (again, depends on how I feel that day!)

1/2 t. vanilla

2-4 T plain yogurt with active cultures

Stir dry milk into pan with other milk.

Heat milk to 180 degrees. Keep a close watch so it doesn't boil or burn.

Set pan in the sink or large bowl of ice water and bring temp down to 115.

Pour a bit (about 1 c ) of milk into the yogurt and mix well.

Pour the mixture back into the warm milk.

Now is when you take some out for starter next time.

With the rest add the sugar and vanilla.

Either use a yogurt maker or pour yogurt mix into a jar or jars, cover and wrap with a warm towel. Place in a warm draft free place for 6 hours. Refrigerate until cold. It never gets as thick as store yogurt but is very good. As you can see I do a bit of adjusting to suit my mood or whim and we love it all. Sometimes I stir a bit of fruit in after it's set but we usually like it plain.

Homemade yogrut in a brown bowl.
Homemade Yogurt Recipes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 4, 2009
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk