My Cakes Aren't Rising

I've been making Miracle Whip cake for over 40 years now, and it has always risen to at least the top of the pan, but the last couple of times I made it, it only raised about half way up the pan. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Just today, I baked 2 in a row thinking I had done something wrong, but they both only raised half way.

Gramma Elly from Duluth, MN

Perhaps your baking soda or powder isn't fresh anymore if your recipe includes it. Without knowing the ingredients it's kinda hard to troubleshoot but that's my first guess!

Good luck. I hope you figure it out! :)

Rebekah

I agree with Rebekah, it could be that your soda or powder is way past date. Another thing could be that your oven isn't running hot enough. You can check this by getting a cheap oven thermometer and hanging it inside your oven, instead of going by what the controls say.

Good luck!

Juana Cookie

check your baking soda and baking powder...they may be old and thus the reason it isnt working.

Is your baking soda old? That is the only problem I have ever had. I love the miracle whip cake!!!!! Now I will have to bake one!!!!!

If I had to say, it would be that your dry products might be old: flour, baking soda, baking powder. Or it might have to do with altitude. If you've done your baking on a cloudy day or when really foggy, this would do it. Hope you have better luck next time. However the flatter cakes are still eatable. Crumble them up with some ice cream & ice cream toppings drizzled over the top or fresh strawberrys cut up over the top--Yummy!!

Would you mind sharing your recipe? Thank you.

Thank you to all of you who responded to my question. I have checked the date on the baking soda, and thats not it. next, I'm going to buy a new bag of flour and try that. I had just purchased the flour that I used, but do not have the bag to check the date. so hopefully that will be the answer.

to mkymlp who requested the recipe...

1 cup sugar 1/2 cup cocoa 1/4 tsp salt 1 cup water

2 tsp soda 2 cups flour 1 cup Miracle whip

1 tsp vanilla

Mix well and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees

this cake is very moist and delicious, even when it doesn't raise properly. Thanks again to all

maybe MIracle Whip has changed the way they make their product?

If it isn't the dry ingredients, could it be the Miracle Whip? I have no idea if it would make a difference or not,but are you using the fat free kind perhaps?

Dear Granny

I have had the same problem as you and decided that the Miracle Whip has too much oil in it.tried Hellman's and it worked perfect.I've always used Best Foods REAL Mayo and never had that happen but I ran out one day and had to use the Miracle Whip[because my hubby liked it better] I'll go back to Best Foods from now on.good luck..

I think it's the Miracle Whip .They Did change it .We Used to Love it until they took that Tangy Zip which was it's trademark out of it & made it taste just like Mayo .

I complained to Kraft . They said I'd get a refund. I got coupons for 2 jars of Miracle Whip which I think I left at a store in case somebody else still likes it .

I also complained at Planetfeedback.com which is a good place to get things like that done & found others shared our complaints & unsatisfactory results.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJune 4, 2006
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Self Rising Flour
Making Self Rising Flour
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Thomas the Tank Cake
Making Character Cakes
🎄