Browsing: Keeping Bees Away From a Pool

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Bees Away From a Pool

Bees are often seen winging down to a backyard pool for a drink. This is a guide about keeping bees away from a pool.

wasp by a pool

September 11, 2008 Flag

Question:

We recently moved from one part of town to the other and we purchased an above ground pool. This time we seem to be getting invaded by bees. We've searched for hives in our yard. No luck! What can we do to enjoy our pool and not have the little ones get stung?

Wendy from Las Vegas

Answer:

Wendy,

In the heat of the summer, bees use water to cool down their hives. They deposit drops of water around their hives and fan the water with their wings. This causes the water to evaporate, raises the humidity inside their nest and cools things down. When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. After all, a nest made out of waxy combs would melt quickly under in the summer heat. Bees also use water to dilute the honey they feed to their offspring. They generally collect water from a source as close as possible to their hives. Unfortunately, once they start using a source, it can be difficult to get them to stop.

I would suggest looking around your yard again to see if you can find the hive. If you can't find it, at least try to track which direction the bees are coming from. Then set up a small birdbath on that side of your yard, preferably as far from your pool as possible. Bees are not particularly fussy about where they collect their water from, so if you can offer them a new water source on their way to your pool, you should be able cut way down on their numbers, if not eliminate the problem entirely.

Bees prefer standing water, so if you have jets in your pool, you might also try adjusting them to create turbulence on the surface of the water. This should be enough to prevent most bees from landing and send them off looking for another source.

Good luck!
Ellen

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Plant brightly colored flowers somewhere else in your yard & they should be attracted to them. It's illegal where I live to harm bees, & with all the hive problems (1/3 hives in US gone in last few years) I hope you can fix this problem easily. There has got to be something around the pool that attracts them. Also, honey bees won't sting unless provoked.

ALL BEES are desperately needed now!

I know they are HEAVILY attracted to a hummingbird water feeder! ANYTHING SWEET! I've NEVER seen them attracted to a pool! Did you just shock it? The chlorine SHOULD repel them!

i just received an email that said yellow jackets don't like bounce, nor do mosquitoes.

Bees don't alway build a hive where one can see it. I have found yellow jacket hives in the ground where they fly out of a small hole in the ground, I have found their nests in side of trees, behind my electric meter and inside my phone box attached to the side of my house. Not always a hive hanging in a tree.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsMay 8, 2013
Bee on Hummingbird Feeder
Keeping Bees Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
bee on a flower
Keeping Bees Away
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
Bird House
Keeping Bees Out of Bird Houses
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:49:18 PM on 10.0.2.169 in 841 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.