Do I have to flour a cake pan?

When a recipe says to grease and flour a cake pan, when the cake is done, and I take it out of the oven, there is always some of the flour from the greasing and flouring left on the finished cake. I don't want to frost the cake. Do I have to flour the cake pan, or is greasing it enough to prevent this problem from happening?

P.J. from Delaware

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Peggy (Guest Post) 12/05/2005

Instead of using flour, use a bit of the cake mix. That will help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Connie (Guest Post) 12/05/2005

To "flour" your cake pan just use some of the dry part of your cake batter and your cake won't have that flour taste either.

Connie from CA.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Little Foot (Guest Post) 12/05/2005

Try this... I line my pan with foil then I grease it. When the cake is done I flip it over and carefully peel the foil off the cake. I use a knife on places that are stuck. I get a perfect cake that has not fallen apart and I throw away the foil...and the extra bonus is I don't have to wash the pan. I hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By christi (Guest Post) 12/05/2005

If you are using a cake mix just use a little of that instead of flour and it will blend in with the rest of the cake. If its a chocolate cake, you can use cocoa instead of flour. Personally I dont flour and have no problems.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By April 7 63 12/05/2005

You should grease and flour the pan, if you don't the cake probably will not come out of the pan. However, you can use confectionary sugar instead of the flour. Or you can use the dry cake mix. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By debbie (Guest Post) 12/05/2005

take the dry cake mix before you mix in the eggs, water, and oil and use that instead of flour it works great then you dont have the white residue from the flour.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Carol Smith 5 36 12/05/2005

The grease keeps the cake from sticking. The flour is so the batter has something to cling to so it will climb high and will rise light and fluffy in baking. I sprinkle sugar in my pans instead of flour when I don't plan to frost my cake. Works great for me. Carol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Karen in NH (Guest Post) 12/06/2005

The only time I flour my cake pan is when I'm using a Bundt pan or tube pan. If I'm making a round or rectangular cake I don't bother; I just spray liberally with Pam (or other brands) and I've never had a problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By it's.only.me 169 254 12/06/2005

This recipe will solve your problem.

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shortening
1 cup flour

In a large mixing bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed. Use this to coat pans for cakes, muffins, pies or anything that requires 'greased and floured' pans. Use plastic sandwich bag on your hand to grease pans and then throw it away when done.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Holly 367 1,264 12/08/2005

After greasing and flouring litely, turn the pan upside down and smack it on it's bottom to knock out all of the extra flour.
Then proceed with the recipe, or re-flour if needed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By badwater 264 654 02/08/2006

I've not floured a cake pan in years. I just use the cooking spray and haven't had a cake stick in the pan with it. Best of luck in your baking.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By miah (Guest Post) 12/06/2008

no you dont but it works just as well

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Gail (Guest Post) 12/19/2008

My cake calls for 1 c. oil, 1 c. buttermilk. I grease the pans, but the cake falls in the middle every time! Should I just skip greasing the pans, seeing that the batter is so oily? Help. This is a great holiday cake and have to make it now!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No