Making Homemade Tear-Off Notepads - Categories:

OtherRecycled Crafts

Making Homemade Tear-Off Notepads

I've read about making note pads from recycled paper, what is the name of the "red, sticky goo" used to make the note pads hold together? Thanks. By bpedigo from Nashville, TN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I've made these in the past. I used Sparco padding compound from an office supply store. After stacking my paper and clipping it together, I would run a small line of the compound (from a travel squirt bottle) down the edge I wanted to bind. Then spread it with a foam paint brush. After a couple of coats and drying, you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Years ago at the bank we just used ordinary glue sticks. Just ran them a couple of times over the edges, letting it dry between each layer.

Rubber cement works, too and is easy to find

August 23, 2009 Flag

I volunteer every week at my son's school and I noticed that they recycle their throw away paper. I needed some scratch paper so I dug through the scrap paper recycle bin to use some. I then grabbed a whole bunch of scrap paper that was printed on just one side and cut them all to scrap paper pad size with the paper cutter.

I then used a red rubber adhesive. I found out it was a small cheap bottle of water soluble red goo that was applied with a paint brush to coat one side of the pad. I got it at the office supply store. Once the adhesive was dried the paper pad was ready to use with easily tear off paper depending on how neatly someone does it.

Now my son's school uses my newly create paper pads in the school's office everyday.

By Soyzick from Hawaii

Answers:

Making Homemade Tear-Off Notepads

I work in property management. When we took over the complex I am in now, we found files of unused, older forms from the company two or three years back. I shredded the ones with information filled in, then went through the rest. I simply use a black clip to keep mine in order, but the gum is cool if you can get them the same size.

Carbons can be used, too. I save and cut up the whites, then kept the yellows, mint greens, and pinks to make signs for the office window. I keep the slick junk mail printed on one side only, and use them in the car with a felt pen. It's great for leaving notes on cars as the plastic is a bit more durable and easier to see. (05/22/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Making Homemade Tear-Off Notepads

I just quarter each sheet and stack them in a small decorative box. They're handy when I need them, and I don't have to waste time stacking them evenly, gluing them, and waiting for them to dry. I've been doing this for 3 decades now; I've never needed to buy scrap pads. (05/28/2009)

By susanmajp

May 20, 2009 Flag

Recycle scrap paper by cutting it into same size pieces (use a paper cutter), then stack the paper evenly. Tap the top edge that you will glue, to make sure it is as even as possible. Clip with binder clips to hold secure, then using Elmer's Rubber Cement, coat the top edge of your note pad.

I use the spring type binder clips to hold it near the glued part. Once dry, repeat several times until it is quite secure. You can also add a piece of heavy cardboard to the back of the note pad.

The first time it is trial and error until you get the knack.

By Syd

Answers:

Making Homemade Tear-Off Notepads

I have been doing this for years and it pays to have uniform size notepads that can be carried easily in one's shirt pocket. For ease of use I bend the loose paper in the middle after tamping down the bottom edge. By holding your thumb on the shifted paper on the bottom edge a 45 degree angle top and bottom can be obtained. This allows flipping the pages easily and also folding them back. I use "tacky glue" (Aleen's) which remains flexible. Riffling the glue application tool through the top edge helps to distribute the glue. Binder clips on both ends of the glued portion hold the 45 into place until it has dried.

3x4 inches is an optimum size for a shirt pocket pad and you can scribble without guilt considering the cost. I have found that a baby wipe box is a good file box if you intend to save these pads. (07/23/2007)

By Frank

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherAugust 23, 2009
Photo of homemade notepads.
Homemade Notepads
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
tear in right triangle piece on quilt
Repairing a Tear in a Quilt Block
White cat looking up at the camera.
Removing Tear Stains on White Cats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 11:26:04 AM on 10.0.1.28 in 697 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.