FleasPets

Pet Store Flea Treatments Compared to Veterinary Products

Are the flea treatment solutions that are in the pet stores just as good as the ones the vet supplies? It is so expensive to get it at a vet. If so, which ones would you recommend? I'm looking for one that you can use on both fleas and ticks and that is not very expensive. Also, how often do you need to apply the treatments?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

The cost of the more expensive flea/tick treatment is worth it, trust me. To prevent a flea/tick outbreak is priceless! You can't imagine the cost to get rids of fleas/ticks if you have an outbreak. It's awful. I use Advantage on my dogs, but only every 6-8 weeks, and I live in FL where the fleas are year round. Sometimes I go longer between treatments. And I can buy the treatment at a local Humane Society thrift store. You may want to ask around about who carries this product, that way your purchase can help a local business or animal shelter!

Hello Linda.

The answer is no! Pet flea treatments sold "over the counter" do not work. It is worth the price to go to your Veterinarian for any and all flea products.

Try Petedge.com. They sell Frontline and Advantix and their prices on all pet supplies are very good. They sell everything you can think of for your pet.

To: PainterLee

RE: Pet store flea treatments

I never heard of a Humane Society Thrift Store. I live in Michigan and we have thrift stores and Salvation Army stores. Is there a web site to buy the flea treatment?

Try petmeds.com

Please be careful with pet store flea treatments. I have lost pets using them. Hartz is the worst! My vet said that around 1000 dogs and cats die each year from their products. I also lost a cat using a flea treatment from Petsmart. I buy only from the vet now. It is cheaper in the long run.