Preservatives for Homemade Laundry Detergent

I am working on a green laundry detergent recipe to sell to consumers. I want to do my part in saving this planet. I understand that soap nuts with a few other natural ingredients works great for what I am trying to do but the liquid version of it has to be used within 3 to 4 days. Do you have any recipes or suggestions on what to use for preservatives to make it have a longer shelf life?

Nakia

You can also use GSE (Grape Seed Extract). It's sold in most Health Food Stores. It's a 100% Natural cleaner & antibacterial made from Grapefruit Seeds. Using the name-brand of "Nutribiotic". It cost about $12 or so for a small bottle, but it should last you quire some time cause you only need a little!

Read more about GSE & Nutribiotic here:

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/citricidal.htm

* Lots of Soap makers use GSE to preserve their homemade soap. You'll only need a tiny bit. Like about half a teaspoon per gallon. With GSE you Laundry soap should last a month or so. At least I think so. You can also keep the soap fresh longer by keeping it cold. Do you have an extra fridge in the garage? If so, this may be the way to go or maybe leave it the soap outside in the winter.

Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is an antioxidant - this is great to use in oils to prevent them from becoming rancid, but it is not a preservative. To date there is not an all natural preservative. A preservative isn't necessary in a dry laundry detergent, but if you are adding water to a bar soap, it may grow bacteria and/or mold - If you make a laundry detergent using a liquid soap paste that was made with oils and potassium hydroxide, your detergent should be safe based upon the ph of the end product. HTH :)

May 12, 2009 Flag

I made homemade liquid detergent using powdered fels naptha soap, washing soda, and borax. I would like to know how long is this homemade detergent good for without preservatives? I only wash at the most 3 large loads a month. I would like to know if it is worth me making this homemade laundry detergent or is it not a good idea. Am I using detergent that is already spoiled since I do not put preservatives in the homemade detergent? Is there anywhere where I can buy preservatives?

Mary

Answers:

Don't make the liquid version, make the dry version and it will last. There are recipes all over the internet. Google is your friend. But I must say, for the few loads of laundry that you do, why bother? (02/05/2009)

By OliveOyl

The reason I use this laundry soap is because it costs less and also because it works better than any laundry soap I've ever bought from the store. Even if you only use it very little, it is worth it. If you want to make the liquid soap, just cut it down by half or even one-fourth as it isn't that hard to make. I've had a batch last for six months and nothing happened to it. I wouldn't add preservatives to it cause what could go bad in it. And why would you want to add preservatives cause they are not always a good thing. I hope this helps. (02/05/2009)

By justhelpingout

I wasn't aware that soap spoiled. (02/06/2009)

By Lynn

I make dry laundry soap. I use the Fels Naptha recipe from the company. Grate up fine 1 bar fels naptha soap. Then use 1 cup of the grated soap, add to it 1/2 Cup washing soda (not baking soda, it is sodium carbonate) and 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax. Mix well and store airtight. Use 1 Tbsp of the soap for 1 load. If there is heavy dirt use 2 Tbsp, to dissolve the soap I put 1 Tbsp. in a plastic jar and fill it about 1/2 full of water. Let it soak till your next load, or if you don't wash often you can put 1 Tbsp. soap in a blender and add some water to it and blend till it is liquid and use it right away. I have had this dry soap around for a year or more without problems. (02/06/2009)

By suzin

If the soap, borax, and washing soda were going to "spoil", preservatives would have already been put into them when they were made. You do not have to add more just because you are mixing them together. Just for the record, these agents last for years without going bad. (02/07/2009)

A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesMay 12, 2009
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Laundry Detergent
Making Homemade Laundry Detergent
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
🎉
🎄