DoorsHome Improvement

Preventing Tears in a Screen Door

I have a front screen door and the kids keep pushing their hand on the screen to open it. Is there something to put there to stop the screen from ripping? I looked at metal grating, but its really ugly and they didn't recommend Plexiglass.

By Robellen from Boca Raton, FL

I saw in screen guard at Menard's. It is a decorative grill work that attaches to the door to protect the screen.

If you can find the spot that is close to a frame, just put a nice. large handle on it, like you would find on an old fence. You will have to put in diagonal, and probably drill holes and make it nuts and bolts, but it will stop the damage.

We had the same problem with the kids and the cats and dog. We got fencing material - the wire squares in the fence are about 1 x 2 inches and compared to torn screens don't look bad at all.

I am looking to prevent this same problem with my dogs. We just had new sliding glass doors installed with a screen door. When the dogs want back in they will bounce up onto the screen to get my attention (many times I'm sitting at the computer and they can see me but I'm not paying attention. If they don't see me they will bark). Anyway, I'm going to pick up a small section of fencing this weekend and attach it to the door.

My cat was ripping the screen and we tried many things. Finally, I was at Busy Beaver one day and saw a storm door with the screen on the top and glass on the bottom. Bought one for the front door and one for the back door and never looked back! I've had them for several years and all I have to do is wipe off fingerprints and nose prints. My cat died a year ago, but I still have grandchildren (and my derriere when I'm holding a bunch of packages) who used to push out the screen. Now, it no longer happens!

I have a decorative grill over my screen, but it still leaves a gap of a few inches at the top and bottom. My cats and little kids have pushed the screening out at the bottom and now the bugs get in. How would one go about attaching the fencing to a metal screen door? That sounds like a great idea!

I put a pet door in my screen door and the pets come in and out without bothering anyone. The kids are a different story. I would just make them use the door knob.

My little kids are only one and two years old and aren't trying to use the door knob to get out. They just like to look out the door through the screen, and we all know that little kids have to touch everything. So they push on the screen. Any other suggestions?