Wide Straw Cherry Pitter

I have to give my daughter Sabrina credit for this one. We were discussing pits in cherries last week, and she told me what she had discovered. If you save a firm, wider straw from one of the many fast food places, they are perfect for pitting cherries! She said the width is perfect and the firmer ones don't cave.

I have not tried it yet, but she and her friends swear by it.

Something so simple can save so much work. It just amazes me.

Source: My daughter told me about this one.

By Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

I can't wait to try this. The cherry crop this year is delicious and I would like to freeze some.

There is a cherry pitter on the market that is only around $10 to $15 depending on where you buy it. I am also in Oregon and I picked up mine from either Bimart or Rays several years ago.

I can pit a whole case of cherries in about 1/2 an hour with this thing.

It is a simple contraption, has a clamp that you use to clamp to a counter top or a cutting board, has a little tray to fill with cherries, a long handle with a spring on it {plunger type}, a container to catch the pits and the pitted cherries fall out the back & you just put a bowl there to catch them.

You can pretty much pit the cherries as fast as you can hit the plunger! I can't think about canning cherries w/o this little device!

I found a pix of what my pitter looks like! Hope it helps when you are searching for one.

I also use a straw (not the very thick ones) to do strawberries.

Pitting Cherries With Cherry Pitter
Pitting Cherries
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsAugust 25, 2009
Straw Hat
Fixing a Straw Hat
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
cherry pitter on plate with cherries and pits
Buying an Olive or Cherry Pitter
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 4:54:22 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 947 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.