Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

Can anyone help me with instructions on making an herbal wrap that you put in the microwave to relieve muscle pain? I know you can add rice or corn however I do not know what types of herbs should be used.

Rose from Malvern, PA

By

By jamie [1]08/09/2010

I found a place that uses flax seed which works really well. It's a health and body store online and they ship the herbal packs for free which is great!

By Kristin Schmidt01/28/2010

The answer is "yes" flax seed will ignite when heated too long. I accidentally hit "5 minutes" on my microwave which resulted in a terrible aroma and actual burn marks on the fabric. I'm sticking with rice.

By RealtorRose (Guest Post)03/07/2008

Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions and helpful hints.

By Lethargic (Guest Post)03/06/2008

If you happen to have any herbal teabags or loose tea those work great. I've used that goodnight tea or any relaxing type herbal teas and just cut open the bag and pour the dried herbs/tea into the rice to stuff my heating pad.

By Vicki (Guest Post)03/06/2008

I think popcorn sounds like it would either pop when you microwave or otherwise heat your wrap, or disintegrate (if already popped). I use rice and tube socks, and you can add any herb, spice, essential oil or whatever that you wish. It's an extremely effective, nearly free solution, even with just plain rice. They stay warm for hours, and mold to whatever needs to be molded to. They are excellent foot warmers/bed warmers as well, and can save on heating bills. Make several with different "aromatherapy" uses. They even make an excellent gift. Get cute socks and make custom ones for gifts or to sell.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

Can anyone give me the instructions to make an herbal heat wrap that goes in the microwave? I know that you can use rice or corn, however I would like to put some herbs in it as well.

Rose S from Malvern, PA

RE: Making Herbal Beauty Wrap

I have seen them with dried lavender added. (03/02/2008)

By MartyD

RE: Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I have made wheat heat packs and have added lavender too. I see no reason why you couldn't add any herb, I sleep on an herbal mattress overlay which seems to have a blend of different herbs inc. rosemary and sage...bliss. I would dry the herbs in the microwave first just to ensure even distribution throughout the wrap. (03/02/2008)

By purple daisy

RE: Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I've been making the heat wraps for several years now. The easiest and fastest is to use a clean large mens tube sock. I use rice and lavender in the tube sock, filling it about two thirds full. Then I tie a knot at the filling end, tight enough to open for emptying and washing. I also buy soft washable fabric, comfortable for using on closed eyes. Then I measure 1)- piece of fabric the width from one ear to the other, some people need a little more or less. Add 1/2 inch for seams. Also measure,1)- I like the top of the forehead to about the tip of the nose, make sure the eyes are completely covered, with 1/2 inch for seams. I sew three sides, right sides together, the forth side close most of side, leave the rest open for filling. Turn inside out. In these I use whole flax seed with lavender. Then sew the end closed by hand. These can only be cleaned with a damp moist cloth. They make wonderful gifts. Either of these can be heated in the microwave, or chilled in the refrigerator. Enjoy (03/03/2008)

By DMMCW

RE: Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I was just coming here to ask the same question about making herbal wraps..I stumbled on another site,about these wraps. They used rice because it made moist heat(they used flannel) and used popcorn for another. They implied flax seed had a tendency to ignite if heated to high. This is a question more than a statement.Somebody jump in and set me straight.Thanks,Keeper (03/03/2008)

By keeper60

RE: Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I make them too. Ive put different herbs in them as well as lavender. I love the smell of Basil so used that in mine. (03/04/2008)

By Lady