Home BuyingBudget & Finance

When is the First Mortgage Payment Due After Closing?

How long after closing on buying a home is the first mortgage payment usually due?

By crazyliblady from KS

To get the best and accurate answer call your lender. If you do not have a mortgage and are just curious about when the the first payment would be due call a lender such as a bank and ask the loan officer when and how you would be notified for the first payment after closing on a house.

I believe that my first payment was nearly always a month or more from the closing when I first purchased my house and also for refinancing. It will be clearly listed in your closing paperwork. Your realtor should be able to answer questions like that too.

Just about a month in most cases; when we closed on our house, it was exactly on Halloween (imagine moving in and handling trick-or-treaters the same night, LOL). Our first mortgage payment was Dec. 1.

The first payment due date is also noted in your closing papers.

I remember it as being the first of the first full month after the closing, in other words, it could be nearly two months if the closing was early in the month. But otherwise, follow the good advice already offered here to call the lender or potential lender.

You've had some solid advice offered here. For my part, I'd say always be prepared to make a payment the first of the month following your closing. Then if you do, indeed, skip a month, you can either save or spend that month's mortgage payment. I'd save it, but that's just me. Whatever you do, though, don't spend that mortgage amount unless you know for sure there won't be a mortgage payment due! We ended up scrambling to pay our mortgage when we thought we didn't have one due. (Of course, that was the old mortgage on a protracted refinance.)

Be sure to check all of your paper work. We closed around Christmas and our first payment was due February 1st, but we kept getting late notices. I would call every month and say that the payment was sent in, but the insisted it was late. Finally after almost 2 years someone finally asked me to get my closing papers out and look at the date. We were never offered an apology but I insisted that they figure out how to get our name off of the bad credit list. That part was taken care of.

Your mortgage is paid for the month just past, whereas rent is usually paid for the month just coming.