Cleaning Wood Cabinets

Finding the best method to clean and protect wood cabinets can be a challenge. This guide is about cleaning wood cabinets.

Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 20, 2010 Flag

Our house has oak cabinets in the kitchen. It is not particle board. There is a strange smell like "old" wood if that makes sense, coming from all the cabinets. It doesn't smell like mildew and I've checked the flooring below and it's fine, no signs of water damage. Any ideas to clean this or get rid of the smell?

By Anna from WI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think I know what you mean. I bought a sideboard at an auction sale that had an "old" smell. I used dishes of baking soda, coffee grounds, and put in eucalyptus. I wasn't really happy with any of those, but they all helped. Additionally, I would try activated charcoal, and maybe washing out the inside with baking soda and water, or perhaps vinegar and water. (Don't mix the two.) Eventually, I re-sold the sideboard, so it became some one else's problem.

Try siting a few dishes of vinegar in the cabinets, or, polish them inside and out with a very good lemon furniture polish or oil.

I had the same problem and I sprinkled baking soda on the floor of the cabinets and left it there for a month or more. You can wipe it out and add more if you still notice the smell. After that treatment if you still have a smell, paint or varnish the interior of the cabinet.

We bought a home built in 1978 and had the same problem. Since there were many cabinets the cost of replacement was out of the question. I used a 10% bleach to 80% water spray to clean them out. After letting them dry thoroughly (overnight) I painted them with a high gloss paint no primer needed. I recommend using two coats. The cabinets smell fresh and look nice inside.

October 3, 2012 Flag

My cabinets have stains, grit, and dirt build up over 30 years. How do I remove it without stripping the cabinets?

By Tammy

I use Murphy's oil soap on my cabinets but if that is too much work at this stage you might try paint thinner. Try it in a small out of the way spot then proceed from there. Happy cleaning!

I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out!

July 30, 2013 Flag

After reading through this blog, I saw a suggestion for Spray and Wash to clean the cabinets. I love Zout to get stains out and tried that. I sprayed it on, rubbed it in with my fingers, let it sit a little and wiped it clean with a microfiber towel and some water. Yippee!! Worked great! The goop came off and the cabinet looks great. Now some lemon oil and we're all set!

February 5, 2009 Flag

How can I clean wood veneer kitchen cabinets?

Marcia

You can use Murphy's Oil Soap.

January 29, 2009 Flag

My kitchen cabinets are a natural wood finish and sometimes some stuff spills on to the cabinet doors. When I try to clean them with water they do not fully come clean. These surfaces have a wood polish and I do not want to rub them too hard. I clean them with a wet wipe but am afraid to scrub too hard as the surface does not look the same. Please advise.

Little Princess from Toronto

Have you tried Murphy's Oil soap?

September 11, 2004 Flag

Removes grease and dirt without harming the wood.

• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
    • 4 Tbsp. white vinegar
    • 1 qt. warm water
    • 2 qt. container with lid
    • 2 soft cloths

Directions:

Put all of the ingredients in the container and shake it until the contents are mixed. Then to use, dampen a soft cloth with some of the mixture and wipe down the cabinets. Dry them with a clean cloth.

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenMay 16, 2012
    Hands polishing a wood table
    Cleaning Wood Furniture
    White painted kitchen cabinets.
    Cleaning Painted Cabinets
    Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
    Painting Wood Cabinets
    Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
    Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:35:54 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 849 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.