Cleaning Wood Cabinets

Finding the best method to clean and protect wood cabinets can be a challenge. This guide is about cleaning wood cabinets.

September 11, 2004 Flag

Removes grease and dirt without harming the wood.

Directions:

Put all of the ingredients in the container and shake it until the contents are mixed. Then to use, dampen a soft cloth with some of the mixture and wipe down the cabinets. Dry them with a clean cloth.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Thank you, this is an easy solution that works great!

July 30, 2013 Flag

After reading through this blog, I saw a suggestion for Spray and Wash to clean the cabinets. I love Zout to get stains out and tried that. I sprayed it on, rubbed it in with my fingers, let it sit a little and wiped it clean with a microfiber towel and some water. Yippee!! Worked great! The goop came off and the cabinet looks great. Now some lemon oil and we're all set!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 20, 2010 Flag

Our house has oak cabinets in the kitchen. It is not particle board. There is a strange smell like "old" wood if that makes sense, coming from all the cabinets. It doesn't smell like mildew and I've checked the flooring below and it's fine, no signs of water damage. Any ideas to clean this or get rid of the smell?

By Anna from WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think I know what you mean. I bought a sideboard at an auction sale that had an "old" smell. I used dishes of baking soda, coffee grounds, and put in eucalyptus. I wasn't really happy with any of those, but they all helped. Additionally, I would try activated charcoal, and maybe washing out the inside with baking soda and water, or perhaps vinegar and water. (Don't mix the two.) Eventually, I re-sold the sideboard, so it became some one else's problem.

Best Answer

Try siting a few dishes of vinegar in the cabinets, or, polish them inside and out with a very good lemon furniture polish or oil.

Best Answer

I had the same problem and I sprinkled baking soda on the floor of the cabinets and left it there for a month or more. You can wipe it out and add more if you still notice the smell. After that treatment if you still have a smell, paint or varnish the interior of the cabinet.

Best Answer

We bought a home built in 1978 and had the same problem. Since there were many cabinets the cost of replacement was out of the question. I used a 10% bleach to 80% water spray to clean them out. After letting them dry thoroughly (overnight) I painted them with a high gloss paint no primer needed. I recommend using two coats. The cabinets smell fresh and look nice inside.

October 3, 2012 Flag

My cabinets have stains, grit, and dirt build up over 30 years. How do I remove it without stripping the cabinets?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use Murphy's oil soap on my cabinets but if that is too much work at this stage you might try paint thinner. Try it in a small out of the way spot then proceed from there. Happy cleaning!

I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out!

February 5, 2009 Flag

How can I clean wood veneer kitchen cabinets?

Marcia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can use Murphy's Oil Soap.

January 29, 2009 Flag

My kitchen cabinets are a natural wood finish and sometimes some stuff spills on to the cabinet doors. When I try to clean them with water they do not fully come clean. These surfaces have a wood polish and I do not want to rub them too hard. I clean them with a wet wipe but am afraid to scrub too hard as the surface does not look the same. Please advise.

Little Princess from Toronto

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you tried Murphy's Oil soap?

August 15, 2013 Flag

I put lemon oil on my oak cabinets and now they show white marks. What do I do?

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2013 Flag

I've read the many questions and responses. My question is a little different. I have 1960s light stained oak veneer cupboards in my kitchen, all original. I have kept them clean, but there are some cupboards that have stains around the handles from many years of cooking hands prior to us. I don't want to take the finish off. Is there any recipe that would remove this safely? Or do I need to think about refinishing all my kitchen cupboard doors? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

By Cynthia F

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 11, 2013 Flag

What is best product for cleaning wood kitchen cabinets? They are 50 yrs old and never painted. They were sanded, stained honey oak, and lightly buffed with oil about 15 yrs ago.

By pearson777 from Riverside, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenMay 16, 2012
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:16:23 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.