Stopping a Dog from Licking Paws

A number of things may be responsible for your dog having irritated feet. This is a guide about stopping a dog from licking paws.

May 9, 2012 Flag

I would love to see an article about American Bulldogs regarding their skin allergies and paw licking. I need to know how to stop it! Thank you :)

By Kaylee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have heard about giving Benadryl to dogs for itching. Ask your vet or google for information. I have an American Bulldog with skin allergies. She is on Atopica which is a prescription medication. It's the only thing that helped her. We found her a vet who specializes in skin issues.

Best Answer

Athlete's foot spray. They pick up fungus same as we do. Another is the old fashioned listerine. Generic from the dollar store is fine. The amber not the blue or green. Used on all kinds of animals. Great on lots of dog itch.

January 7, 2015 Flag

Why does my Bassett Hound keep licking the middle if his paw all the time?

By Dympna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Either boredom or allergies, it can be contact (grass etc.) or inhalant. I wouldn't be surprised if he had ear problems too, it's inherent for Bassetts. I say boredom as well because sometimes these dogs are too smart for their own good and if they aren't kept busy, they find other outlets.

Best Answer

Sometimes dogs do this as a response to anxiety. Be sure you dog gets enough exercise and affection from you. If there are situations in the home that cause anxiety, do something about them.

The other thing to consider is food allergies. Try different hypoallergenic diets to see if it will improve things. Good luck.

Best Answer

My Pitt started doing the same thing to himself this year. To the point he started limping shortly after we started our daily walks. The get said due to the mild winter here in Oregon, the pollen was unusually high, causing his itching. The Benadryl spray didn't seem to work as well as the perception spray given by the vet. Now what DeOhGee starts to itch, I just ask if he wants his medicine and he stops immediately and waits for me to spray his feet.

January 20, 2011 Flag

My dog is licking her paw raw and now I have noticed crusties in her eyes. Please help.

By Ariah from Shoreview, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What kind of dog food are you feeding? The commercial brands sold in most stores contain too much grain which triggers allergies. Switch to a higher quality food with less grain.

One of the best things for humans and animals, both inside and out, is good coconut oil. It has healing qualities of many kinds. Google it.

Pat

My dog was also licking his paws and legs constantly (he also scratched, gnawed on, and itched other areas around his tail, stomach). I read online that it could be a sign of food allergy, most likely from grain. I stopped the dry food and took him off all grains immediately and the change was amazing! Within a few days he was 80% better and within a couple of weeks he was completely back to his healthy self.

Then two months ago I got some books on raw food and switched him over to 80% meat, 10% edible bone, 10% organs - and at 12 years old, he is now running around like he did when he was 3 years old. I look for meat on sale and it really doesn't get that much more expensive. Especially since I don't have to run to the vet all the time and pay for all these medications for itchiness, arthritis, etc. And I stopped the vaccinations, as he started to develop seizures/balance problems after he got them. I feel like I have my young dog back :) Maybe some of this can be useful to you. I wish you great luck with the health of your dog.

My doberman has been licking her paws off and on for years. Veterinarian did allergy testing, etc but to no avail. She is still pulling the hair out. I tried a raw diet which helped, and tried too many to list ointments and sprays, but if I didn't cover up the legs with bandages, the licking would continue nonstop. I have mentioned this problem to other dog walkers and one mentioned to use these posh protectors to stop the dog licking at http://www.doglickingpaws.com the posh sleeves have been super fast to put on and my dog doesn't lick her legs anymore and the hair is growing back. Finally I found something that works to stop the obsessive licking.

January 20, 2011 Flag

My dog is chewing his paws. He has had a yeast infection in his ears in the past, but is not having one now. The inside of his paws are dark pink including hair. It does not wash off. Is this yeast? His one paw is sore to touch but not to walk on at the moment.

By Debra from Salem, OR

Answers:

Dog is Licking Paws

A temp fix is athlete's foot spray. Any kind is safe. Use it several times a day. Then, please order granules from Nzymes.com. I have used it for years on rescue dogs. It is pretty good stuff for lots of things. We can't always provide the healthiest of diet and this supplement sure takes a lot of the edge off. You will have skin clearing up, arthritis help, and a better immune system. Check it out and once you use it you will be asking others to do the same. Good luck with your dog. Makes you uncomfortable that he is uncomfortable doesn't it? (10/18/2010)

By muttmom

Dog is Licking Paws

Athlete's foot spray like any other medication is to be kept away from animals, as the instructions state not to be near eyes or mouth. This does include animals. Take your dog to the vet for care. They will instruct you to the safest treatment that keeps you and the pets from harm.
(10/18/2010)

By T&T Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2010 Flag

I am looking for natural remedies to treat paw itching in mature dogs.

By torii from Goleta, CA

Answers:

Dog is Licking Paws

My dog licks her paws. She has allergies and I have read that this is part of the itching somewhere, but they lick paws because they can reach them. I have also found that she does this when she is nervous or bored. Have you tried using an Elizabethan collar that you buy from the pet stores, just to wear for awhile to keep your dog from making the paws sore, and give them lots of toys to keep their mind off of it, in case it is boredom. She could still be having some kind of anxiety from when your husband was in the hospital, that was probably traumatic for her as well, having the daily routine broken. My dog knows when something different takes place, even when my husband goes on a business trip. Good luck! I am also from Ky, living in VA now. Miss Ky! (09/04/2009)

By Luvmyjrt

Dog is Licking Paws

Check between your dog's 'toes' to make sure they are not inflamed. At certain times of the year they can pick up mites off the sand or grass and they seem to lodge between the toes. (09/06/2009)

By skinnyjinny

Dog is Licking Paws

Change your dog food to a better one and start Benadryl and fish oil. Look up the Benadryl dose for dogs on the internet and give a fish oil pill everyday. (09/07/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dog is Licking Paws

My Maggie has allergies like crazy. The licking of the feet and the raw spots that are left behind from her doing so, the ear shacking and so on, and and so on. I wipe her feet every time she comes in from outside with a baby wipe now. I just started this about a week ago. Seems to be helping most of the time. She is lab and pit mix. Love her to death. (09/16/2009)

By L.JOWETT

<p
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 4, 2009 Flag

My dog licks her front paws until they are raw. Is there some sort of natural remedy that I can put on them to get her to stop? They are not hot spots. She began doing this 2 years ago when my husband was sick and we were in the hospital for almost a month. Any help would be appreciated.

By Sunnyjudy from Nicholasville, KY

Answers:

Dog is Licking Paws

Talk or take to vet. There is something wrong possibly mange. (07/29/2009)

By dickiefickkle

Dog is Licking Paws

I would start by worming her thoroughly with something safe like a pyrantel based product, then apply a bitter apple sort of spray. I have found my Dobie chews and licks only when he has a parasite problem. Good luck. (07/30/2009)

By Gina J.

Dog is Licking Paws

It could be many things, but what the vet will most likely do first is put a pail or a cone on her head so she can't lick those paws. It may be something serious or it may be a nervous habit. She will look funny in the cone, but her paws will heal up. (07/30/2009)

By louel53

Dog is Licking Paws

My dog does that too, but he has allergies to the grass so when he's outside for a long time when he comes back in he licks them raw. So maybe he has allergies. Hope I helped. (08/07/2009)

By sweetpeadtg

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 28, 2009 Flag

My dog licks her paws till they crack and bleed. The vets don't seem to be able to help despite numerous drugs and lots of money. Any suggestions?

By Terrill from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Dog is Licking Paws

Maybe your pet's paws are irritated from the cleaning agent used on the floors or carpets. I would try applying Benadryl Cream and new socks for your pet to wear when indoors and see if that helps.

Or, perhaps your pet is lacking in some vitamin or mineral, or too much of something in its nutritional intake. Seems like a vet would be able to diagnose the cause of this problem and I'm surprised the vet hasn't "licked" the problem yet.

Try googling Jeffers Pets, as they sell a lot of over the counter medication for dogs and I use this website often for my own pets. (05/11/2009)

By Lorelei

Dog is Licking Paws

Most people have that problem with their dog(s) at certain times of the year due to allergies or an obsessive compulsive disorder. Vet treatments are usually only temporary fixes, like all allergy treatments are, but they are VERY expensive. We have the same problem with our dog and we use Dermapaw ointment, which we bought online. Also try giving your dog one or two fish oil gel caps per day, and a vitamin E gel cap each day, or put some of it on your dog's food. Hope this helps. (05/11/2009)

By doggeefun

Dog is Licking Paws

Shadow is an 80 lb German Shepherd with very bad skin in general and a bad open sore on his side that he gets every year. Because we treat monthly with frontline spray, notice I said spray and not the spot treatment. We know it is not fleas.So, our vet gave him a drug that is the same as benadryl, Hydroxine or something, and put him on what would equal 50 milligrams twice a day. The normal dose for benadryl I have seen on the internet is 2 milligrams for every pound of body weight every eight hours.

Also, try a spray made out of 1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar and 1/2 water and spray his feet a couple of times a day. If he is sensitive to yeast this will aggravate the situation and you can stop. Also, wheat can be a culprit. Try changing to a dog food with more meat and less wheat or corn.

Yogurt is great for dogs and sometimes helps. I give Shadow some everyday and get a kick out of seeing his mouth all covered in yogurt, it is so funny. Good for humans as well, fish oil pills can help the skin every day, and it is good for the immune system.

Check out earthclinic.com for more information, look under the pet tab and look under the heading "pet allergies". Hope all this works! (05/11/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Dog is Licking Paws

Dog is Licking Paws

You have fire ants in GA. Have you checked your yard to see if they are biting him? If it's not fire ants, you could try neem oil. I bathe my dogs with neem shampoo all the time, but you can also buy neem oil for skin problems. It's great stuff. I heard about it on this site.
(05/19/2009)

By Stngray

Dog is Licking Paws

I'd place my money on something you're using on the floors to clean them, forgetting and letting the dog walk across it. Or allowing the dog to go out onto fertilizer/pesticide/ weed killer on the grass? One thing that can really give a pet fits, even human feet is using oxyclean on floors or shoes. It's hydrofluoric acid and can only be neutralized by milk and egg white membrane, which sounds weird, but it's the only thing I could find that would work. Sometimes, if it's too bad, I have used hydrogen peroxide first, blow dried it, then used neosporin cream in the cracks, and band aided.

To be on the safe side, buy refrigerated acidophilus for pets with "streptococcus" in it, which is in all dirt naturally, but which helps to heal allergies in all pets. Crush it and use common sense about dosage sprinkled on their food and mixed in. It's not medicine, but is a natural remedy that works 100% for us for a number of issues, which I also could have used on my dogs before canned pet food killed them years ago at early ages.

Mercola.Com says most illnesses/ diseases are from poor intestinal immunity, and our family has been using acidophilus for over twenty years. My latest colonoscopy was so perfect I don't have to do another one for at least 10 years, according to the doctor who also took pictures to prove it to me, honestly, lol.

Buy an organic cereal for your dogs, wipe their paws with gentle dish soap/vinegar each time they are in the mud puddles, and you think of it. If you use neosporin, blow dry the feet first to not trap any fungus in any cracking the dog has. The neosporin being licked off actually acts like an internal medicine, and healed my mouse who lost all of it's fur from something, on one whole side of it's body. We thought we'd lost her, but she pulled through and I believe it was the neosporin inside and out. You can buy a generic triple antibiotic ointment, which is much cheaper and the same formula I believe.

God bless you and your dog. :) (05/19/2009)

By lyndagayle62

Dog is Licking Paws

We have a small herd of foster pooches, elderly Cairn Terrorists. One of ours has strong Westie in her. Westies have quite a list of skin problems.

We switched to VeRus dogfud & use their Menhaden variety. No corn, wheat, chemicals, you name it. So, after a week or so, they stopped scratching, stopped the Westie Oily-Fur, stopped licking their private parts, and it has cleared up the ever present tear streak from their eyes. Poops are solid & not so much volume because their bodies handle it better. They still refuse to pick up after themselves; that didn't change!

The thing is, if it doesn't noticeably help your pooch problems, the company will give you a refund! (05/20/2009)

By ExtremeFrugalist

RE: Dog is Licking Paws

Dog is Licking Paws

Our rottie mix used to do that until I switched his food. Now that he is on Pro Plan he no longer licks his paws. You may want to see about switching from a corn based dog food to one that the first ingredient is meat. 95% of the dog foods sold have ground corn as the first ingredient.

Food allergies can manifest as a licking or constant biting/scratching in symptoms. Good luck! (05/21/2009)

By ladyghostwolf

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 11, 2009 Flag

My dog (Rocky) is always licking his paws and making slurping noises. Any idea why?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2009 Flag

My Doberman has been licking certain areas raw. Usually on his forearms or his paws until the hair is gone and his skin raw.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 23, 2016
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
dog licking a toy cat
Remedies for Dogs Obsessively Licking
Dog Licking Paw
Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 6:48:08 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.