Dog is Licking Paws

My dog is licking her paw raw and now I have noticed crusties in her eyes. Please help.

By Ariah from Shoreview, MN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just read in my animal pill book today and it said it is safe to use benedryl but preceed with caution: get the ok from your vet first just to double check. You could also spray the paw with a spray that doesnt smell good to him(or her), and you could put an eye drop in the eye(s). That helped mine.

What kind of dog food are you feeding? The commercial brands sold in most stores contain too much grain which triggers allergies. Switch to a higher quality food with less grain.

One of the best things for humans and animals, both inside and out, is good coconut oil. It has healing qualities of many kinds. Google it.

Pat

My dog was also licking his paws and legs constantly (he also scratched, gnawed on, and itched other areas around his tail, stomach). I read online that it could be a sign of food allergy, most likely from grain. I stopped the dry food and took him off all grains immediately and the change was amazing! Within a few days he was 80% better and within a couple of weeks he was completely back to his healthy self.

Then two months ago I got some books on raw food and switched him over to 80% meat, 10% edible bone, 10% organs - and at 12 years old, he is now running around like he did when he was 3 years old. I look for meat on sale and it really doesn't get that much more expensive. Especially since I don't have to run to the vet all the time and pay for all these medications for itchiness, arthritis, etc. And I stopped the vaccinations, as he started to develop seizures/balance problems after he got them. I feel like I have my young dog back :) Maybe some of this can be useful to you. I wish you great luck with the health of your dog.

My doberman has been licking her paws off and on for years. Veterinarian did allergy testing, etc but to no avail. She is still pulling the hair out. I tried a raw diet which helped, and tried too many to list ointments and sprays, but if I didn't cover up the legs with bandages, the licking would continue nonstop. I have mentioned this problem to other dog walkers and one mentioned to use these posh protectors to stop the dog licking at http://www.doglickingpaws.com the posh sleeves have been super fast to put on and my dog doesn't lick her legs anymore and the hair is growing back. Finally I found something that works to stop the obsessive licking.

Answer

Why does my Bassett Hound keep licking the middle if his paw all the time?

By Dympna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sometimes dogs do this as a response to anxiety. Be sure you dog gets enough exercise and affection from you. If there are situations in the home that cause anxiety, do something about them.

The other thing to consider is food allergies. Try different hypoallergenic diets to see if it will improve things. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

American BulldogI would love to see an article about American Bulldogs regarding their skin allergies and paw licking. I need to know how to stop it! Thank you :)

By Kaylee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Athlete's foot spray. They pick up fungus same as we do. Another is the old fashioned listerine. Generic from the dollar store is fine. The amber not the blue or green. Used on all kinds of animals. Great on lots of dog itch.

Read More Answers...

My dog is chewing his paws. He has had a yeast infection in his ears in the past, but is not having one now. The inside of his paws are dark pink including hair. It does not wash off. Is this yeast? His one paw is sore to touch but not to walk on at the moment.

By Debra from Salem, OR

Dog is Licking Paws

A temp fix is athlete's foot spray. Any kind is safe. Use it several times a day. Then, please order granules from Nzymes.com. I have used it for years on rescue dogs. It is pretty good stuff for lots of things. We can't always provide the healthiest of diet and this supplement sure takes a lot of the edge off. You will have skin clearing up, arthritis help, and a better immune system. Check it out and once you use it you will be asking others to do the same. Good luck with your dog. Makes you uncomfortable that he is uncomfortable doesn't it? (10/18/2010)

By muttmom

Dog is Licking Paws

Athlete's foot spray like any other medication is to be kept away from animals, as the instructions state not to be near eyes or mouth. This does include animals. Take your dog to the vet for care. They will instruct you to the safest treatment that keeps you and the pets from harm.
(10/18/2010)

By T&T Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for natural remedies to treat paw itching in mature dogs.

By torii from Goleta, CA

Dog is Licking Paws

My dog licks her paws. She has allergies and I have read that this is part of the itching somewhere, but they lick paws because they can reach them. I have also found that she does this when she is nervous or bored. Have you tried using an Elizabethan collar that you buy from the pet stores, just to wear for awhile to keep your dog from making the paws sore, and give them lots of toys to keep their mind off of it, in case it is boredom. She could still be having some kind of anxiety from when your husband was in the hospital, that was probably traumatic for her as well, having the daily routine broken. My dog knows when something different takes place, even when my husband goes on a business trip. Good luck! I am also from Ky, living in VA now. Miss Ky! (09/04/2009)

By Luvmyjrt

Dog is Licking Paws

Check between your dog's 'toes' to make sure they are not inflamed. At certain times of the year they can pick up mites off the sand or grass and they seem to lodge between the toes. (09/06/2009)

By skinnyjinny

Dog is Licking Paws

Change your dog food to a better one and start Benadryl and fish oil. Look up the Benadryl dose for dogs on the internet and give a fish oil pill everyday. (09/07/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dog is Licking Paws

My Maggie has allergies like crazy. The licking of the feet and the raw spots that are left behind from her doing so, the ear shacking and so on, and and so on. I wipe her feet every time she comes in from outside with a baby wipe now. I just started this about a week ago. Seems to be helping most of the time. She is lab and pit mix. Love her to death. (09/16/2009)

By L.JOWETT

<p
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog licks her front paws until they are raw. Is there some sort of natural remedy that I can put on them to get her to stop? They are not hot spots. She began doing this 2 years ago when my husband was sick and we were in the hospital for almost a month. Any help would be appreciated.

By Sunnyjudy from Nicholasville, KY

Dog is Licking Paws

Talk or take to vet. There is something wrong possibly mange. (07/29/2009)

By dickiefickkle

Dog is Licking Paws

I would start by worming her thoroughly with something safe like a pyrantel based product, then apply a bitter apple sort of spray. I have found my Dobie chews and licks only when he has a parasite problem. Good luck. (07/30/2009)

By Gina J.

Dog is Licking Paws

It could be many things, but what the vet will most likely do first is put a pail or a cone on her head so she can't lick those paws. It may be something serious or it may be a nervous habit. She will look funny in the cone, but her paws will heal up. (07/30/2009)

By louel53

Dog is Licking Paws

My dog does that too, but he has allergies to the grass so when he's outside for a long time when he comes back in he licks them raw. So maybe he has allergies. Hope I helped. (08/07/2009)

By sweetpeadtg

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog licks her paws till they crack and bleed. The vets don't seem to be able to help despite numerous drugs and lots of money. Any suggestions?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog (Rocky) is always licking his paws and making slurping noises. Any idea why?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Doberman has been licking certain areas raw. Usually on his forearms or his paws until the hair is gone and his skin raw.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 20, 2011
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
dog licking a toy cat
Remedies for Dogs Obsessively Licking
Dog Licking Paw
Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 12:04:44 PM on 10.0.0.215 in 279 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.