Dry Frizzy Hair

I have really dry, frizzy hair from dying it too much. What do I do now?

By breebaby from Eureka, IL

Use a flat iron to straighten it and use a good conditioner so it won't dry out.

Me too! (mine is naturally curly/frizzy). As you know, air drying is best if you can. After talking to many women that come into my business that have nice hair, I ask them their tips & they all have one thing in common: They only wash their hair with shampoo once a week & then they use a mild shampoo like baby shampoo & on the other days they need to clean their hair they comb conditioner through their hair paying close attention to combing or massaging the conditioner on their scalp then through the rest of their hair then rinsing it ALL out.

You'd be surprised at how clean you can get your hair using only conditioner & no shampoo! (Look for a conditioner that has the words "Stearalkonium Chloride" in the first 5 ingredients) This is one of the best ingredients for quality hair conditioners. You can usually find one of these at a dollar store. Also, use a spray-in product made specially for heat & blow-drying. It will help protect your hair!

---> 3 Products I can't live without:

1) Infusium 23 leave in hair treatment. (Don't leave home without it!)

2) A moisturizing finishing lotion (comb in a dab then leave in hair)

3) & just for the ends, a dimethicone based de-frizzer like "Frizz-eze" or Citreshine de-frizz serum... (Just look at the ingredients, the first one should be dimethicone)

You could use a deep conditioning pack once every 2 weeks. You put the deep conditioner in your hair then either sleep with it or heat a towel in the oven on 200 for 10 minutes then when it's cool enough, you wrap the hot towel around your hair to help the conditioner soak in.

---> A tip that may help you: When looking for quality products for frizzy hair that don't cost to much, look in the area for Black & Ethnic hair. They sell lots of great products for frizzy & damaged hair in that section of the drug store.

Use the infuser attachment to your dryer! I had the same problem until I started using the infuser. Trust me. do it and start using some biosilk. Its a little expensive but you only use a dime sized amount so it lasts a while and it smells great! You can find it on ebay for like 5-10 dollars. Alot cheaper that in salons.

For immediate relief of dry, frizzy or static hair during the winter, grab a small amount of any lotion, rub between fingers and then through your hair.

P.S. To avoid the greasy grungy look, make sure you comb lotion through lower parts of the hair and away from the roots

By Pookster

Answers:

Dry Frizzy Hair

I have always had dry frizzy hair and my hair stylist gave me the best tip that I have ever had given to cure a head full of dry/frizzy hair. Take olive oil and place it the palm of your hand and massage into your scalp and into hair. Don't totally drench it, but generously add it to moisten your entire head. Throw a towel over your head and wrap up. You can leave on overnight or apply and leave on for as little as 30 minutes. The longer the better, but you'll notice a difference in even a 30 minute sitting. Wash hair/dry and style as usual. Hair will be silky/smooth looking. Hope this helps someone like it did myself. So easy and it does work wonders!

P.S. This does not make your hair greasy looking in case you were wondering as I had wondered the same thing, lol. (11/27/2004)

By Barb

Dry Frizzy Hair

Thanks Barb, I'm going to have to try that. Do you do the olive oil with the hair wet or dry? Or does it matter?
(11/29/2004)

By pookster

Dry Frizzy Hair

A quick fix for frizzy hair is Chapstick for lips. I've read models use this when there's no time to fuss. Rub some on the palms of your hands and run your hands over your hair. I tried it and it works. (04/01/2006)

By Chris

Dry Frizzy Hair

I am a cosmetologist and I also have frizzy hair. Use baby oil, olive oil, vegetable oil. Also don't wash your hair with shampoo, wash it with conditioner. This will help a lot. (04/02/2006)

By Hollie

Dry Frizzy Hair

I will try this remedy for super dry and frizzy hair. I have been made fun of because of my hair being frizzy and flyaways. Thank you for posting this on the internet. I have tried everything. I will be sure to let everyone know how this worked. (05/24/2008)

By PENNY