Creative Uses for Upholstery Samples

Hello,

I have just picked up some free treasures at a yard sale: upholstery samples. They are various sizes; most are about the size of your average sofa pillow. The lady says she has as many as I can use at her decorating store.

My daughter and I plan to use them as a fundraiser for the local food bank. We are looking for unusual ideas of things to make out of them (Things that don't require many more supplies).
Obviousy they would make nice pillow tops or placemates.
Any seamstress/crafty people out there have some other ideas?

Thanks,
Cindy in PA

They would make GREAT purses. All sizes, some patchwork ones. Placemats. Table runners. Cover boxes and tins with the fabric. School kits (make pouches for the different supplies). Knitting needle cases. Pot holders. Dresser scarves (doilies, mats). Belts. Covered barrettes. Pin cushions. Picture frames. Oh! Can I come over and sew and craft with you?!? --Jayne

You can make tooth pillows. These are small pillows with a pocket for the tooth that has fallen out. They are great for gifts and have sold well for me in the past.

How about eyeglass cases, sewing kits, travel jewelry packs, travel shoe bags. patchwork throws or tote bags.

I am not even sure if this will go through as a feed back, but Jayne had some wonderful ideas. I have been trying to think of more ideas myself for this fabric. And Jayne, you are as bad as I am when it comes to crafting. I LOVE IT TOOOOO....Kathy

Quilts! Sit-upons!

Pull them tight around MDF and frame them as original artwork. Sew together for shalls, cloaks and lap blankets for the colder season. Vertical hanging banners with letters than placed over top for whatever theme the material seems to take, ex. Fall, Dreams, Lullabye you get the picture

I got a lot of FREE of charge at a local furniture store- they discontinue the style so I get a big box of it now & then ! The last time I used it was this past Easter. I had a cardboard bunny decoration so used it as a pattern & hand stiched it to another upholstery swatch & stuffed the bunny side on the top & tied a ribbon bow thru the neck ! Perfect as an Easter banner ! Also I used some & made a stuffed frog -- very handsome & the rich deep color made it that much nicer !

I used a cd as a pattern & cut circles from several pieces of the swatches to use as "mug rugs". Some of it is really quite thick so I cut larger size circles to use on the table as hot mats.

I love some of the deep reds that I have gotten so cut some into beautiful hearts.

I made some woven hearts that I have potpouri in that hangs from drawer pulls.

Carefully cut diagonal 1' or 3/4' strips almost to the edge of one heart. Of the 2nd heart cut the same width strips but all the way across and in the opposite direction.

Weave the loose strips into the heart that is still intact but has the strips cut. There might be a few of the pieces that frustrate you because they are small and need pieced back together at the top where the curves are & the "cleavage" of the heart.

Then stitch the pieces together. It might help to stitch as you go. Add a nice cord for a handle.

I covered a box with a swatch once. I used coordinating fabric of the same texture to be able to have enough but it worked!

I lined the inside of a footstool that has a hinged lid to store a few things inside.

Make pot holders of it. Use recycled bed pad for lining. Or recycled thermal underwear tops or leggings, either one.

I happen to work in a furniture store and have saved 4-5 buckets of discontinued swatches so far. The swatches are great for when I need to practice on the sewing machine since I'm just learning. I've also been quilting. For the first quilt I just cut off the edges and peiced them together in squares. Next one I tried to get a little more creative and did a mixture of large squares and small ones and a thick border around it. Since furniture grade swatches are heavier than normal quilting fabric I use the basic blankets from Wal-mart or K-mart for the back, not something very thick. I used the light-weight batting the first time and realized you don't really need to use it so I don't now. My Dad drives a semi-truck over the road all week long and he said it keeps him nice and warm while he's away from home, even when it's cold outside. I read the other posts and think they are all great ideas, I really like the idea of pot holders. Also I'm trying to find info on the rag rugs to see if these can be used for that too! Happy crafting! :) Amy

Last year our church women were given three big boxes of the samples to make things for our bazaar. We put our heads together and made small purse (one of the men collects wood scraps, so he made the handles. We also made handy totes to be mounted on the front of walkers for our nursing home residents. Thanks for the other ideas.

You can make Christmas stockings, pillows, placemats, etc.

They were the perfect size for armchair covers. I folded them lengthwise then ran a seam up the one short side. I then folded it flat to form a triangle at one end and ran a stitch across the triangle part about 3 inches down. Turn it back out and there you have it, a perfect cover to keep the arms of your sofa and chairs nice and clean.

PS- this can also be done with placemats from the dollarstore

Crafts Using Fabric SamplesFabric Sample Quilt
Crafts Using Fabric Samples
Sample Sized Beauty Items
Using Beauty Samples
tote bag
Making a Drapery Sample Tote Bag
Perfume Sample Bottles
Using Perfume Samples
🎉
🎄