After Washing and Drying Jacket, Lining is Lumpy

My son was given a brand new Champion quilted jacket which has stuffing. I washed it on its own in my automatic washer according to instructions but for some reason after I line-dried it (I don't have a dryer) the stuffing inside the jacket is very lumpy and the jacket is unwearable. I left it outside for two days to make sure it dried well so I have no idea what to do next! I live on an island in the Mediterranean and the weather here is cold but sunny most of the time. Any suggestions?

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Champion is a reputable line. Google their customer service contact info, let them know what happened, let them know you expect more from Champion products, and ask them what to do.

Chances are, they'll replace it -- especially if it's unwearable.

I learned to dry every item with quilted stuffing - from coats to quilts - the same way: put it in the dryer (ONLY "FLUFF" IF IT SAYS AIR-DRY) with 6 or more clean tennis balls. (The bigger the item, the more balls.) In my younger days, I ruined a good jacket by not knowing this trick, which I learned from a hunter who laundered his own quilted camo. I wash quilts more than coats now that I have a dog, and I keep a bag of 10-12 balls hanging by my dryer for handy use. If you don't have a dryer, it's worth using a laundromat's for these special items!

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, CHAMPION clothes don't exist in my country. My son was in the U.S. when it was given him. Laundromats are few and far between here in Malta. I think there is only one on the whole island, if it hasn't closed down as well. I'll check and try that as a last resort and take some balls with me. Thanks again.

tks luvmygingerkids. maybe champion can give me some idea to fix the problem. i cant imagine them replacing it since they have to send it to me in malta and i have to send them the jacket i have here. the postage from malta would be horrendous coz the jacket is bulky and heavy. i'll get on their site and see wat they can come up with. maybe there is a remedy.

If it has a quilted lining, it could be a defect. The proper way to sew such a garment is to tack the lining down. But, if it wasnt tacked down, the lining could have slipped out of place and bunched up. I've had it happen before.

Since you do not have a dryer, try putting the garment into a large plastic bag or a gathered sheet with some other soft but solid objects (clean shoes come to mind) and shake the bag to "fluff" the filling up. If this doesnt work, then my suggestion would be to try to contact the company. And my regards to you and your family - my family was fond friends here in the US with a tailor from Malta by the name of Victor Kiomall. All my best to you and yours! Cathy S. in Delaware.(cdschick4 at aol dot com)

My suggestion requires some tedious work..........but it might help smooth the lining out some, maybe not perfectly but we try to do the best we can with what we have. My idea is to place one hand on the outside of the jacket and the other hand on the inside of the jacket. (With open hands pressing against each other, but with the jacket and lining between them.) Start pinching and pulling at the "lumps" with both hands....in the same spot at the same time. If you can pinch and pull at the matted fibers within the lining perhaps you can fluff up the fibers that wadded up together. You might also try "scrubbing" one portion of the jacket against another portion, kind of like we do when we try to rub and scrub out a stain. Good luck , wish I had better advise this time.

Try putting into a dryer at a laundromat with a few tennis balls. Or you might take it to a cleaners and have them press it or professionally steam it

thanks cathy for your kind wishes. kiomall is not a maltese surname so maybe u got the spelling wrong. but im glad u have nice memories of

someone from my tiny country! i dont know if your suggestion wud work but ill give it a try. i have a feeling the wadding is still wet coz its so lumpy. ill try drying it outside a bit longer if i cant sort it any other way and then give it a good shake in the bag like u suggested.

grandma margie, your suggestion seems the best one. its pouring with rain at the moment so i cant take it outside to dry it off a bit more.im going to try your suggestion right away. seems u always find a way to solve my problems. remember wen i had a drawer jammed? u solved that one for me too. God bless you.

If I were you, I'd contact the manufacturer and inquire if your jacket is defective.

Cettina from Malta Europe

Hello! Yes, I remember the jammed drawer incident! I was so relieved when it worked! I can even take you back further than that.................one day you needed help understanding our American method of selling and measuring butter. I believe the term "stick" had you confused and you wanted to make an American recipe you saw in ThriftyFun. I responded to that also, telling you a "stick" weighed 4 ounces and would fill a 1/2 cup measure in volume. Whenever I see your name on a post (or entry)) I smile. It's like seeing my new friend! May our Lord shower you with abundant blessings!

Grandma Margie

hi grandma margie! cett here from malta. just to let u know that u have saved the day AGAIN. YES it took a little while messing about with the lining and the outside of the jacket but i did it in stages. few minutes here and there and now the jacket is wearable again. just waiting for a nice sunny day and give it a good airing to make sure the "unlumped" parts are completely dry and thats it! yes, i remember the stick of butter measurements. have no problem with recipes now that i know wat things mean. thanks for your kind wishes and i hope God sends the same to you. tks again.

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingJanuary 15, 2008
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
comforter with alarm clock
Fixing a Lumpy Comforter
stack of towels
Making a Jacket from Towels
🎉
🎄