Why Don't My Dogwoods Bloom?

I have about a dozen dogwoods that have never bloomed. A pink one that I planted about 5 years ago was blooming when I planted it, but not since. A few are 6-8 ft tall and at least 10 years old. We have acidic soil, and have 4 dogwoods that bloom yearly. Is there anything I can do to encourage blooms?

By Sue

Hi Sue, Here's a few things I know that can cause dogwood not to bloom, I hope it may help. Too much nitrogen: most trees are planted in middle of lawn and lawn fertilizers are very high in nitrogen. This is good for the leaves but can stop tree from blossoming. I f used, don't do so near tree. Instead use a balanced fertilizer or one high in phosphorous. Too much or too little sunlight: Dogwoods grow naturally on edges of forests so they spend part of each day in sun and shade. If yours spends most of day in one or the other, it may not be able to bloom. They need 1/2 of the day in sun to blossom correctly. Improper pruning: They don't need pruning to keep healthy but if you do prune them, do so only after they finish blossoming. Other times can remove immature buds and cause tree not to flower. Cold snaps and Temperature: They are very tender to cold. It can kill all blossoms but yet leave tree looking healthy. Lack of water: Tree needs at least 1 inch a week. Hope this helps!

Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 6, 2011
Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Japanese Anemone
Flowers That Bloom in October
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
Hibiscus Flower
Getting Hibiscus Flowers to Bloom