Dog with Itchy Skin

How do I help my Chihuahua to stop itching?

By Carolyn from Spokane, WA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My English bulldog was treated for every type of skin irritation in the book. She frequently had infections that required medication-sprays, pills, special shampoo-on and on. One fortunate day for Daisy and me, we saw a new vet in the practice. He suggested we try to approach her skin condition as a food allergy. We changed her food and she has not had any more problems. She eats Iams for sensitive skin and looks wonderful. No more constant itching and scratching. I hope you find your solution. We were just very lucky.

My chihuahua went through the same skin problem along with yeast in the ears. I changed his dog food to NUTRO I bought at PETCO and after 2 weeks, his skin and ears cleared up. He was allergic to the dog food I was giving him. He is 12 years old and runs around like he's a pup since. I will never feed him cheap dog food again. You're not alone, I've been through all those remedies and vet bills. Give it a try. Good luck!

I have a chihuahua also and he has one spot on his neck that he scratches a lot. In the pet department of some stores you can find a hydrocortisone spray, also, benadryl spray will stop the itching. You can add a little oatmeal to his bath, regular not instant. Oatmeal soothes the skin. You can put it in your bath also if you have skin problems.

The best thing to do is get pills (which are chewable and yummy to dogs) that have omega 3 oils and brewers yeast. Our dog had itchy problems constantly til we got these. Also, there are a lot of treats out there that have those ingredients as well. You can get the pills at Walmart for less than $5 for like 100 of them. You can even find the treats at the dollar store.

I've had a similar situation with our Rosie and discovered she was actually allergic to the corn and some of the grains in her dogfood.

She's now on Lamb and Rice for $49.99 a bag for 35 pounds compared to feeding her Pedigree $22.00 for 40 pounds. We have 3 dogs and we had to start feeding it to all of them because the other two thought Rosie was getting something so much better.

For our budget that is very expensive but on the other hand we're not taking her to the Vet and her skin is better. I then noticed every time she came back inside from being out in the yard she was still chewing on herself and started to pay close attention to her every move and actually figured it out.

Rosie has a reaction to Pine Needles and only during the warmer months. During the winter when everything is basically dead in the backyard she's fine.

Per our Vet, she gets 2 Benadryl in the morning and 2 at night. Also when she comes back inside I can actually see hugh red blotches and tiny bite marks and sprinkle Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated Body Powder".

It's Triple Action Relief, * cooling, * absorbing and * itch relieving.

It greatly soothes all the redness.

I spray our yard but even so as long as we have Pine Needles it's a problem we will always deal with. The border of our entire backyard is nothing but Pine Needles. I rake them up twice a year and my two other dogs have no issues with it.

Answer

My friend recently got her first dog, Suzy, a rescue dog. Suzy has had to wear a cone most of the time that my friend has had her because she will bite and lick herself raw if she doesn't have the cone on.

She is on two types of flea medication, uses hypo-allergenic shampoo and is on a restricted diet. She has also been taken into the vet, where they gave her a cortisone shot.

Anybody have any ideas of what is causes her to do this? My friend is at her wits end and doesn't know what else to do.

By Stellabell from Manchester, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Every fall Zues comes home from his walk in the wet grass, and chews on his feet. He gets what they call red spot, they have a spray in the pet department for this. It stops the itch. Maybe this will stop the itch on the skin.

Read More Answers...

In August, my dog started itching like crazy. Her sister was itching, too, but not as badly. She scratched a bald spot on herself. I bathed both of them, could not find any fleas, and then the itching subsided somewhat.

I took her and her sister to the vet. Several tests were run, they all came out negative, no mites, no fleas, no indication that her intestines had the wrong bacterial flora, and no pancreatitis.

Has anyone had this happen? The vet put her on a steroid and fish oil. I'm confused by this, I just don't get it.

By Carol from SouthBend, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could be the food, but more likely its something out in the yard. My dog starts getting itchy every year around late summer, early fall. I give him fish oil capsules year around, but this time of year, I have to take him to the vet.

Read More Answers...

I have a 1 year Yorkie, she is my baby, and she itching all the time. At this time I am using a hydrocortisone lotion, but it's been more then 8 weeks and she is still itching. She sleeps with us and I don't sleep well because of that and she doesn't either. I also took her to the vet. She gave her some pills, but still she itches. Can you please help me out?

By Sonia A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the two previous posters. Consider cooking for your dog, but be sure to do some reading on animal nutrition first. There are several good posts on this subject on ThriftyFun. It is a common problem. I took me nearly a year to figure out that my dog could eat brown rice and canned salmon. He never scratched or bit himself again, and he had become nearly hairless. He lived to be 17 years old. Good luck and don't give up.

Read More Answers...

Can I give Benadryl to my 3 month old Yorkie terrier for itchy skin? And if so, how much?

By Kelly

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Benadryl is pretty safe for dogs. I have given it to my chihuahua and my pug mix, it is about 1 mg per pound of body weight, so if she is 5 lbs, about 5 mg., half of a 10 mg tablet. I don't recommend the liquid as it has some alcohol in it. But call your vet, advice is usually free!

Read More Answers...

Are there any home remedies to help our dog who is scratching, biting, and itching constantly? He is being treated for allergies, but it has been so bad yesterday and today. I want to help him tonight, but not sure where to turn. Thanks.

By pitiful from Muskegon, MI

Dog with Itchy Skin

Get a product that is called Bag Balm. It will really help him! (10/19/2010)

By MzScarlett

Dog with Itchy Skin

We have a Doberman who began scratching and biting himself constantly and our vet advised us to break up a 1200 mg fish oil capsule and pour it over his food when we fed him. We have been doing this and no more scratching. It may take a week or two for this to help.

(10/20/2010)

By Pepsi Gal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for help with dogs with itchy skin.

By Karen from Rossvill, GA

Dog with Itchy Skin

I have the same problem with my three little dogs, 2 Chihuahuas and a Papillon now and again. It appears to be seasonal, so probably allergy based. Apart from being vigilant with tick and flea preventatives, I have found that a tip I found on Thrifty Fun worked extremely well. It was using Epsom salts in the rinse water after a bath. It worked almost instantly and now I keep packets of it in the cupboard. Great stuff, cheap and harmless. It won't hurt your dogs even if it isn't successful.

Cheers from Oz
(09/01/2010)

By vicki7857

Dog with Itchy Skin

Salt has incredible healing powers. I know when I have any type of skin issue I go to the beach and that takes care of it. I just saw this post and wanted to tell you you can buy a product called Vet Aid which is a sea salt spray. It works wonders! That way you don't always have to bathe your dog when you need to treat those itches. Good luck! (09/08/2010)

By katie25

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an eight week old Yorkie, and he weighs about 1 pound. He has dry flaky skin and is constantly itching. Now my husband has what looks like mosquito bites all over him. We took the puppy to the vet and he checked for mites, and he didn't find any and no fleas. Any suggestions?

By Terri from NE

Dog with Itchy Skin

Get some of that flea and tick medication. I have 2 Yorkies and they both are 5 years old. Ever since they were puppies they had itchy skin, until I used that stuff on them and now they don't itch anymore. (05/19/2010)

By stephcutlip

Dog with Itchy Skin

Have you checked for bed bugs? They also itch like fleas and dogs can get it, too. (05/20/2010)

By carolenam

Dog with Itchy Skin

Keep your dog away from corn products in food and everything else. This will help and make sure it is getting enough oil in its food for the skin. You can also use mineral oil to clean the ears and maybe use a little on its skin if they have an area where it does not get on your household things, but really keep them away from corn products! (05/20/2010)

By princessdi

Dog with Itchy Skin

Food allergies or have your vet test for Addison's disease. It can be fatal. (05/25/2010)

By sexton68

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My male dog itches and scratches himself. He has been treated for fleas. Any ideas what could be wrong?

By Joanne from Spain

Dog with Itchy Skin

See my other posts. Does his diet have corn, wheat, or soy in anything? Big no no. They cause allergies, dry coat, and itchy skin. Fleas? You know to use borax in the house. (04/19/2010)

By muttmom

Dog with Itchy Skin

If your dog is on commercial dog food, put him on a fresh-meat diet. We had the same problem with our dog, Ben, and cured him by giving him meat from the butcher's. Be sure to mix in a bit of barley, oats, peas, and chopped carrot, in order that your dog gets sufficient vitamins. Also, give him a raw egg occasionally. Tinned dog food is rubbish, believe me. (04/19/2010)

By dumb0

Dog with Itchy Skin

If your dog has patches of hair missing, it might be mange and you will need a veterinarian. My dog was allergic to his food. I would change his diet, and after 6 months he would be scratching and chewing again. I finally cooked brown rice with a bit of olive oil, added canned salmon (1/3 salmon to 2/3 rice), bones and all. He never scratched again until he died at age 17. Keep trying until you get the right mix. It is strange what they can be allergic to. The thing that set him off the worst was broccoli. Good luck. (04/20/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Dog with Itchy Skin

Maybe it's just dry skin. My three month old puppy kept scratching after flea treatment. The vet ran a skin scrape and other tests on him that all came back negative. $117 later he was put on doggy fish oil capsules (I smear peanut butter on his and mix with his food. Two in morning and one at night.) I came home making jokes about this diagnosis. Within about ten days he was 90% better. But, since the expensive ones for dogs were just like the much cheaper fish oil capsules we already had in the kitchen cabinet when his prescription needs to be refilled I plan on substituting with "people" fish oil. (04/21/2010)

By Judy

Dog with Itchy Skin

My Springer Spaniel has very bad skin allergies in the summer. Year round he gets prescription drugs from our vet and we feed him a dog food made of salmon and sweet potato. It seems to have helped him, also morning and night he gets a Benadryl capsule for the itching, derm caps and brewer's yeast for his coat. Springers and Cockers are prone to skin allergies and we've done it all to combat the allergies. These pills seem to work. (04/21/2010)

By Deborah570

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do Pomeranian Yorkie mixes usually have dry, itchy skin? Or could it be the collar she's still not used to yet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog scratches all of the time. The doctor says it is an allergy. I cannot afford to take him in every month. Please help.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog has allergy problems on it's skin from pollen. Any ideas what to use to stop the itch?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 21, 2010
Woman with Itchy Scalp
Remedies for Itchy Scalp
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
Skin Folds
Treating a Rash in Skin Folds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 4:11:10 AM on 10.0.0.239 in 283 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.