Browsing: Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Dog with Itchy Skin

How do I help my Chihuahua to stop itching?

By Carolyn from Spokane, WA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My English bulldog was treated for every type of skin irritation in the book. She frequently had infections that required medication-sprays, pills, special shampoo-on and on. One fortunate day for Daisy and me, we saw a new vet in the practice. He suggested we try to approach her skin condition as a food allergy. We changed her food and she has not had any more problems. She eats Iams for sensitive skin and looks wonderful. No more constant itching and scratching. I hope you find your solution. We were just very lucky.

My chihuahua went through the same skin problem along with yeast in the ears. I changed his dog food to NUTRO I bought at PETCO and after 2 weeks, his skin and ears cleared up. He was allergic to the dog food I was giving him. He is 12 years old and runs around like he's a pup since. I will never feed him cheap dog food again. You're not alone, I've been through all those remedies and vet bills. Give it a try. Good luck!

I have a chihuahua also and he has one spot on his neck that he scratches a lot. In the pet department of some stores you can find a hydrocortisone spray, also, benadryl spray will stop the itching. You can add a little oatmeal to his bath, regular not instant. Oatmeal soothes the skin. You can put it in your bath also if you have skin problems.

The best thing to do is get pills (which are chewable and yummy to dogs) that have omega 3 oils and brewers yeast. Our dog had itchy problems constantly til we got these. Also, there are a lot of treats out there that have those ingredients as well. You can get the pills at Walmart for less than $5 for like 100 of them. You can even find the treats at the dollar store.

I've had a similar situation with our Rosie and discovered she was actually allergic to the corn and some of the grains in her dogfood.

She's now on Lamb and Rice for $49.99 a bag for 35 pounds compared to feeding her Pedigree $22.00 for 40 pounds. We have 3 dogs and we had to start feeding it to all of them because the other two thought Rosie was getting something so much better.

For our budget that is very expensive but on the other hand we're not taking her to the Vet and her skin is better. I then noticed every time she came back inside from being out in the yard she was still chewing on herself and started to pay close attention to her every move and actually figured it out.

Rosie has a reaction to Pine Needles and only during the warmer months. During the winter when everything is basically dead in the backyard she's fine.

Per our Vet, she gets 2 Benadryl in the morning and 2 at night. Also when she comes back inside I can actually see hugh red blotches and tiny bite marks and sprinkle Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated Body Powder".

It's Triple Action Relief, * cooling, * absorbing and * itch relieving.

It greatly soothes all the redness.

I spray our yard but even so as long as we have Pine Needles it's a problem we will always deal with. The border of our entire backyard is nothing but Pine Needles. I rake them up twice a year and my two other dogs have no issues with it.

August 25, 2011 Flag

My friend recently got her first dog, Suzy, a rescue dog. Suzy has had to wear a cone most of the time that my friend has had her because she will bite and lick herself raw if she doesn't have the cone on.

She is on two types of flea medication, uses hypo-allergenic shampoo and is on a restricted diet. She has also been taken into the vet, where they gave her a cortisone shot.

Anybody have any ideas of what is causes her to do this? My friend is at her wits end and doesn't know what else to do.

By Stellabell from Manchester, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I should have added in my 1st post to check and see if you friend uses commercial lawn fertilizer. Many dogs are allergic to it and owners go nuts trying to figure out why they chew their feet and bellies in the spring and summer. The cure is switching to organic lawn fertilizer.

My male dog had very dry skin that caused him to itch. We began putting a fish oil capsule in his food daily and he stopped. Benedryl can also help if its a reaction.

Every fall Zues comes home from his walk in the wet grass, and chews on his feet. He gets what they call red spot, they have a spray in the pet department for this. It stops the itch. Maybe this will stop the itch on the skin.

September 20, 2011 Flag

In August, my dog started itching like crazy. Her sister was itching, too, but not as badly. She scratched a bald spot on herself. I bathed both of them, could not find any fleas, and then the itching subsided somewhat.

I took her and her sister to the vet. Several tests were run, they all came out negative, no mites, no fleas, no indication that her intestines had the wrong bacterial flora, and no pancreatitis.

Has anyone had this happen? The vet put her on a steroid and fish oil. I'm confused by this, I just don't get it.

By Carol from SouthBend, IN

I did have the same thing happen with my Sheppard/Lab it was recommend that I put her on a good quality dog food we tried Lamb meat base then was told that Lamb was meant for high energy dogs/larger, so we switched to a less fatty content.

Either way better food was then answer talk to a pet store they will recommend something better. Try a small bag first to see if your dog likes it. Most pet stores will back up the product if your dog don"t like it. Better quality food means your dog will be fuller longer but always read the bag only give the recommended for the weight of your dog.

Look at the ingredients of the dog food. First word is the most content last word is the least content make sure your dogs not getting the unhealthy stuff like fillers.

I agree sounds like a allergy. the fish oil is great for them. you can also give your dog benadryl to help alleviate the reaction. It's a mg per pound 2-4 times a day. 50mg(2 pills) once to twice daily should be good depending on his size. the generic equivalent is fine. maybe try a higher quality dog food with less grains in it. corn,wheat are allergy triggers to many dogs.

Could be the food, but more likely its something out in the yard. My dog starts getting itchy every year around late summer, early fall. I give him fish oil capsules year around, but this time of year, I have to take him to the vet.

November 28, 2012 Flag

I have a 1 year Yorkie, she is my baby, and she itching all the time. At this time I am using a hydrocortisone lotion, but it's been more then 8 weeks and she is still itching. She sleeps with us and I don't sleep well because of that and she doesn't either. I also took her to the vet. She gave her some pills, but still she itches. Can you please help me out?

By Sonia A

It could be a few things causing the itching. Some dogs are sensitive to wheat, corn or soy in their food and treats. Also flea bites will make a dog itch a lot if they are sensitive to the flea saliva. (Icky!) Is she out romping in leaves on the ground? Another possible cause. Walmart has a hydrocortisone shampoo (Pro-Sense Itch Relief) that I use on our pug mix, with good results. I would first try changing food to one for sensitive skin or without wheat, corn or soy but may have to get it from your vet. I know you hate to see her so uncomfortable. Good luck!

Much to help with to solve problem #1 No steroids. No vaccines. No corn wheat or soy in food. No supermarket Purina. Call me for help for free. Many years of helping these problems. Vicki (Muttmom) 541 440 1966. I don't charge a thing. I just love animals.

I agree with the two previous posters. Consider cooking for your dog, but be sure to do some reading on animal nutrition first. There are several good posts on this subject on ThriftyFun. It is a common problem. I took me nearly a year to figure out that my dog could eat brown rice and canned salmon. He never scratched or bit himself again, and he had become nearly hairless. He lived to be 17 years old. Good luck and don't give up.

May 17, 2011 Flag

Can I give Benadryl to my 3 month old Yorkie terrier for itchy skin? And if so, how much?

By Kelly

Please don't give dogs and cats human medication. I've read too many stories about pets becoming ill or dying because they've been given human medication. I suggest a gentle, natural, alternative medicine treatment. Take a look at Only Natural Pet . com even just for ideas. I've used a sneezing remedy for my cats from them, safe, effective, gentle!

The vet. has me give my 5lb. 9 year old dog 2.5 ml of liquid childerns benadryl for itchy bumps and skin redness. If it were me I would only do this if a trusted vet. told me to.

Benadryl is pretty safe for dogs. I have given it to my chihuahua and my pug mix, it is about 1 mg per pound of body weight, so if she is 5 lbs, about 5 mg., half of a 10 mg tablet. I don't recommend the liquid as it has some alcohol in it. But call your vet, advice is usually free!

November 21, 2010 Flag

Are there any home remedies to help our dog who is scratching, biting, and itching constantly? He is being treated for allergies, but it has been so bad yesterday and today. I want to help him tonight, but not sure where to turn. Thanks.

By pitiful from Muskegon, MI

Answers:

Dog with Itchy Skin

Get a product that is called Bag Balm. It will really help him! (10/19/2010)

By MzScarlett

Dog with Itchy Skin

We have a Doberman who began scratching and biting himself constantly and our vet advised us to break up a 1200 mg fish oil capsule and pour it over his food when we fed him. We have been doing this and no more scratching. It may take a week or two for this to help.

(10/20/2010)

By Pepsi Gal

October 18, 2010 Flag

I am looking for help with dogs with itchy skin.

By Karen from Rossvill, GA

Answers:

Dog with Itchy Skin

I have the same problem with my three little dogs, 2 Chihuahuas and a Papillon now and again. It appears to be seasonal, so probably allergy based. Apart from being vigilant with tick and flea preventatives, I have found that a tip I found on Thrifty Fun worked extremely well. It was using Epsom salts in the rinse water after a bath. It worked almost instantly and now I keep packets of it in the cupboard. Great stuff, cheap and harmless. It won't hurt your dogs even if it isn't successful.

Cheers from Oz
(09/01/2010)

By vicki7857

Dog with Itchy Skin

Salt has incredible healing powers. I know when I have any type of skin issue I go to the beach and that takes care of it. I just saw this post and wanted to tell you you can buy a product called Vet Aid which is a sea salt spray. It works wonders! That way you don't always have to bathe your dog when you need to treat those itches. Good luck! (09/08/2010)

By katie25

August 31, 2010 Flag

I have an eight week old Yorkie, and he weighs about 1 pound. He has dry flaky skin and is constantly itching. Now my husband has what looks like mosquito bites all over him. We took the puppy to the vet and he checked for mites, and he didn't find any and no fleas. Any suggestions?

By Terri from NE

Answers:

Dog with Itchy Skin

Get some of that flea and tick medication. I have 2 Yorkies and they both are 5 years old. Ever since they were puppies they had itchy skin, until I used that stuff on them and now they don't itch anymore. (05/19/2010)

By stephcutlip

Dog with Itchy Skin

Have you checked for bed bugs? They also itch like fleas and dogs can get it, too. (05/20/2010)

By carolenam

Dog with Itchy Skin

Keep your dog away from corn products in food and everything else. This will help and make sure it is getting enough oil in its food for the skin. You can also use mineral oil to clean the ears and maybe use a little on its skin if they have an area where it does not get on your household things, but really keep them away from corn products! (05/20/2010)

By princessdi

Dog with Itchy Skin

Food allergies or have your vet test for Addison's disease. It can be fatal. (05/25/2010)

By sexton68

May 19, 2010 Flag

My male dog itches and scratches himself. He has been treated for fleas. Any ideas what could be wrong?

April 19, 2010 Flag

Do Pomeranian Yorkie mixes usually have dry, itchy skin? Or could it be the collar she's still not used to yet?

March 18, 2010 Flag

My dog scratches all of the time. The doctor says it is an allergy. I cannot afford to take him in every month. Please help.

Load More
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 21, 2010
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
Skin Folds
Treating a Rash in Skin Folds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 7:08:19 PM on 10.0.1.248 in 9 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.