Make Your Own Take Along Coffee Packs

contest winner icon

I love fresh brewed coffee. To make my own take along packs, I place a teaspoon or maybe a tablespoon of ground coffee into a coffee filter along with aspartame sugar and powder creamer, and fold the filter in from the sides and down from the top. I secure it with one staple like they do on tea bags and I have take along fresh brewed coffee. I can add them to hot water, heated in the microwave where ever and whenever. I make loads of these and keep them in an old empty glass lidded jar for at home and put some in a small zipock bag for my purse. This is much cheaper than buying them premade, and I can specialize them with any flavor I like.

By Kimsukie from Florissant, MO

Thanks for this great idea.

I can use this when I go out of town and stay in a hotel.

They always have a small coffeemaker and furnish coffee in those filter packs - but they never give you enough for more than one pot.

I usually take along some filters and a small container of coffee.

This will be much better.

Thanks again.

I will give this a try. I often would like a cup of coffee (just one), but I don't want to make half a pot and waste it. Good idea.

I'll probably never do it, but as a Coffee-aholic, I like the way You Think. It was an excellent Idea, and if I ever travel again, who knows, I just might try that! Thanks

Thanks for this great idea. I will try this.

The reason they don't give you more than enough for one pot is that they do not want to waste it. They cannot move it from room to room. It is unsanitary to take it from one room to another. But if you want more you can have as much as you want. Ask for it or go to the lobby and get it. This goes for shampoo, lotion and soap.

I love your idea about the coffee packets. However, you might want to take a look at the Dr. Mercola web-site and change your choice of sweetener. Aspartame is very dangerous. Powdered creamers are mostly chemicals. Sorry, just thought I should warn you about these dangers.

You would do better to use a sweetener made from stevia which is a natural sweetening herb---no dangerous side effects to your body esp your brain cells that aspartame can cause.

What a great idea, not only for travel but for those times you just want one cup. BTW, I haven't found a brand of stevia yet that doesn't taste bitter in hot drinks. I use Splenda granular, or Wal-Mart's Althern, which is cheaper, and just as good. Thanks for the tip!

I love this idea, because I am fussy on how I like my coffee. When I visit my mother she says please make it yourself lol. I use 1 and 1/2 tsp sugar, and one splenda, coffee whitener, creamer, and a tiny tiny bit of chocolate syrup, for a hint of chocolate flavour. So I would make this w/ a well rounded tsp of Taster Choice instant, w/ the other above mentioned items, and 1/4 tsp of instant chocolate powder. Then I would put in the coffee filter, and whenever I visit relatives, I would have it handy and ready. :) Thanks again for the awesome idea.

Great idea but you all should try to give up the sugar in your coffee. I used to do Sweet 'n Low then Sugar in the Raw.. now no sugar! Your coffee will suck for about 3 days then you will love it. I only put a splash of milk in my coffee and it tastes great. I recently tried to put sugar in it to see if I like it and was repulsed !!!!

I also like iced coffee but hated the fact that sugar never melted in the cold drink and would sit at the bottom of the cup but now I don't have to deal with that.

I calculated how much sugar I was consuming a year and it was 11 pounds just in my coffee!! Figure out how many pounds of sugar you are consuming in a year... every 6 tsp = 1 oz

I am a little confused when you say you add it to hot water heated in the microwave. Do you just dump it in to the cup and then strain off the grounds or do you dip the stapled pack into the hot water like a tea bag? Does the creamer disolve if you are dipping it like a teabag? How long do you have to steep it? Please elaborate.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesMay 21, 2010
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
🎉
🎄