Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Our cat peed on the cushion of our couch, it is much like a big pillow. If we put it in the washer, will it ruin the cushion?

By Jonell from Winter Park, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Susan03/15/2011

This is a toughie, cat urine is almost impossible to completely get out. Try the Nature's Miracle, a gallon will last years, and then set the cushion outside in some sunlight and fresh air for as long as you can.

Good luck!

By Lisa [6]03/10/2011

Vinegar! Pour it on, let it dry. Will be all gone.

By Jill [4]03/09/2011

There is a product called "Nature's Miracle" (you can get it at pet stores) that you put on and let it dry, and it is supposed to get any pet odor out. It has a great reputation, though I have never used it. If you cannot wash the cushion, this might be an option.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

We are potty training a toddler at our house and she had an accident on the couch. How do I get the smell out of the cushions?

MB in WY

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Soak up as much as possible with towels. Then put liberal amt. of borax on stain. Leave it on and it will turn yellow. Remove it and keep repeating until borax stays white and stain and smell will be gone. (06/14/2004)

By Toni K.

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Pour a generous amount of vinegar on the area. Then turn the cushion on its side and let it dry for a day or two. The vinegar smell will go away. I have four children and several pets - have used this many times on sofas, mattresses and carpet. (06/15/2004)

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

My grandson wet our bed, and my daughter kept it from getting an odor by using baking soda and peroxide. Would have to be careful the peroxide doesn't bleach out any colors, however. (06/15/2004)

By Phyllis Girard

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

The baking soda/peroxide would work to get the stain out, and no, peroxide will not bleach out any colors. I use it as a stain remover for everything from grape juice to blood, on any fabric and it's doesn't effect the color. Vinegar is the best solution for odors of that nature. If the smell is too strong, use 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar. I too have kids and pets, and it's the best I've found for odor removal. (06/17/2004)

By Jamie Shouse

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

I recently got a cloth covered office chair that accidentally got very moist tomato salsa over the back. After getting the salsa off, I filled a bucket with hot water, laundry soap, and baking soda, scrubbing vigorously for several minutes. While it got visibly clean, some of the odors were still there. I found a laundry stain treatment and covered the area thoroughly and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so. Then I scrubbed the areas vigorously again, rinsing it with water mixed with baking soda and a wet rag about three times. After spraying it with a mild disinfectant deodorizer, I can't even detect any lingering odors.

Good luck! I hope it works for you too! (03/04/2007)

By Jesse

Freshen couch cushions

I myself, have couch cushions with "batting" in them, which makes them extremely difficult to wash. To freshen them up, from our Chihuahuas jumping on them, and our family coming and going, I throw in 2 pillow at a time in the dryer with several fabric softner "Snuggle" sheets, within 5 minutes the whole house smells wonderful! (04/15/2007)

By Kim

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

My pug has urinated many times on the couch. I don't know why, but he has finally stopped doing it. Anyway, the smell is awful if you are sitting on the couch. I took all the cushions out of the material and soaked them in the bathtub with a vinegar/water mix. They need to dry outside on a warm day too. I also put the material in the washer with vinegar and detergent. It really works, lots of work though. :) (05/24/2008)

By Precious

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Use a pet enzyme spray found in Walmart, grocery stores, etc. Use a very liberal amount and let stand dry. If it doesn't come out, turn the couch over and clean it that way. You will have to clean it a few times. Maybe a few days. This works on leather, floors, fabric and more. If not sure, test spot. You can also use a cleaner after you have outdone the enzyme. It has worked for me on many occasions. (12/28/2008)

By lisa

My daughter recently had an "accident" on my couch after sneaking down to sleep there during the night. Seeing as how it sat there all night, the urine soaked deep down into the couch cushion. I tried spot cleaning with no luck at removing the smell. I finally removed the cushions and soaked them with bleach water, rinsed out, and squeezed as much water out of it as I could over the next few days as I let them air dry in the hot sun.

Now that they are dry, the entire cushion smells horrible. The water I was squeezing out of the wet cushions did not smell at all, so I am really shocked by this (really wondering if there was a reaction between the cushion material and the bleach that caused this). I tried spraying it down with a vinegar water solution and let it dry again, that didn't help at all.

The dumpster is looking like my only option right now, but I really can't afford to buy a new couch and even replacing the cushion is out of my budget from what I have seen online. Any ideas?

By cutecrys

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Pour baking soda or a carpet powder used for getting pet odors out on the spot and leave it there over night. Really rub it in to the spot. Then vacuum it off. You may need to repeat the process. (09/08/2009)

By Tannac

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

It could be a reaction between the soaking solution, the urine, and the foam. I would leave it outside as long as you can, even a month, in the sun if possible, and see if that helps at all. I had to do that with a pillow that had a horrible smell. (09/10/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Could you possibly afford to purchase some new foam and have a friend or family member (or yourself) who is good at sewing open the cover seams, replace the foam and re-sew? You can hand wash the cover with mild soapy water and allow to air dry after removing and before placing in the new foam. (09/11/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

You are probably dealing with several odors. What has worked for me in the past is an enzyme based cleaner. This will "eat" whatever it is causing the odor. I buy mine at a company that sells commercial cleaning supplies. Google it for your area or check you phone book. (09/13/2009)

By lostinthe