Preserving Game Boards and Pieces

When my family purchases new games with game boards, before they play the first game, I use wide, clear packing tape and reinforce corners of both the bottom and top of the game box, and any inserts inside the box. I also place a strip of tape down the back side of the folded gameboard to give it extra strength - no more broken boards or untidy, ruined boxes! I then place as many as needed ziplock bags into the box to store games pieces after use. This really extends the life of the game for many generations! Games are expensive these days - try it!

Great idea! The taping technique also works well for paperback books, to preserve the corners and spine.

I've done this with the kids games, and in fact, we did it with mine when I was a kid, and my kids still play some of my board games from the 70's! Also, iclude either rubber bands, paper clips or something to hold the money and any sets of cards. And remember, you can always buy, (or make, or recycle) replacement dice, markers and marbles -- so if you happen to break or lose one or more of these, DON'T THROW THE GAME AWAY and lose your money, just replace those pieces.

Have fun!

Yes this works. Also I have a great tip I used with my 5 kids. Whoever wins the game puts the game away. They are on a high so the losers don't feel so bad. Also this website has lots of replacement parts you can order. I work at the YMCA and have replaced connect 4 about 4 times in 7 years. The yellow grid has a hook on the outside that breaks. Unbelieveable - They let you buy that whole piece for $3.00 which includes shipping. Much better than buying a new game for $15.00. http://www.hasbro.com/default.cfm?page=cs_parts

Hasbro has bought out parker brothers and a few others so check the list for any game you need parts for.

Messy pile of board game boxes.
Organizing Board Games
Entertainment Games Board GamesAugust 3, 2008
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Felt Pieces
Making Felt/Flannel Boards and Pieces
Emery Boards
Using Emery Boards
Old Ironing Board
Uses for Old Ironing Boards
🎄