Cigarette Smell on Leather Furniture

I got a leather recliner at a sale and it smells like cigarette smoke which makes my living room smell like that. What can I use to get the smell out?

By Linda

Can you cut several lawn and leaf size bags to cover the chair using tape to seal it up?

Then maybe you could put a ton of baking soda at the bottom of the bag for a few days. Or maybe cat litter.

Also, did you try leather cleaner yet? Maybe that will help clean it.

Also saddle soap, maybe that would work.

Good luck!

May 27, 2010 Flag

How do I get cigarette smoke out of a leather desk chair? My friend gave me this awesome chair, but it reeks of smoke and I don't want to get rid of it. I already tried Febreze, leather cleaner, and baking soda and nothing has worked yet. Any suggestions?

Danielle from CA

Answers:

Cigarette Smell on Leather Furniture

Unfortunately the smell has absorbed into the chair and permeated the leather and now resides inside the stuffing of the chair. Besides reupholstering the chair and putting new stuffing in, there is only one thing you can do to get the smoke smell out:

Rent an ozone machine. We had a house fire and the smoke got in to the furnace's "fresh-air" intake and spread smoke everywhere, to every room in the house. The smoke permeated the furniture and the carpeting, too. The pros brought in an industrial ozone machine. The Ozone Generation made all the difference! All of the smoke smell was gone from our large home within 2 days. Believe me when I say these machines work miracles. You will only need a small ozone machine. Just run the machine in a small room with the chair in it. You can either rent an ozone machine by the day at a rental company or look under "fire and flood" in the yellow pages and call the pros and ask them where they rent their machines. You won't need a large industrial machine (like we had), but will only need a small ozone generator. Maybe just an ozone air-cleaner will do the trick.

Febreze works wonders on the outside (the fabric or leather), but you need something that can get inside the chair. If an ozone machine can make a disgusting smelling, large, 2 story, 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, smoke-filled house smell clean and fresh in 2 days, then I'm sure an ozone machine can get that chair smelling fresh as a daisy in only half a day if it's closed up in a small room (like a bathroom) with the ozone machine running full blast. (03/26/2008)

By Cyinda

March 26, 2008 Flag

How do you get nicotine smells out of a leather suite?

Annette from UK

Answers:

Cigarette Smell on Leather Furniture

First remove as much as possible with leather shampoo, then cover with a leather polish. That would be my best guess. Ask at the feed store how they recommend taking care of saddle leather, or ask at the dry cleaner? Or call a furniture store, they may even carry the product that would help. It's not the nicotine, it's the smoke which is an oily granular stuff accumulating on the surface. Good luck, sounds like a project well worth the effort. (06/18/2007)

By Kim Ch

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 27, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
🎄