Sewing MachinesMachines

How Do I Wind a Top Load Bobbin on a Singer Model 630?

I just got a old 1968 Singer model 630 with an odd top load bobbin. I can't figure out how to fill it?

By Karen from Denver, CO

Answers

Did you get the book with it? If you mean one of the Singers where you leave the bobbin in its original place to wind it, if I remember right, there is a button in the front, on the left hand side of the machine that you have to push down. You also open the slide plate so you can see what you are doing and leave the machine threaded just like normal. Have enough of the thread sticking out of the needle so that you can hold the end of the thread until you get going. Then you operate the machine as if you were sewing, when you get enough thread on the bobbin you stop winding and then push on that button and it will raise up and you are ready to sew. That is as near as I can remember, I had a sewing machine like that purchased in 1965, and I loved it. I can't remember what the model number was for it, and I don't know if the directions I gave you are exactly right, but similar.