Dutch Bunny

This easy recipe with the fun name is a quick and scrumptious breakfast, or great for a country brunch.

Cooks up light and fluffy. Enough for 3 or 4 people with big appetites or 5 or 6 who can control themselves! Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl, "fluff" together with a fork (easier than sifting), and set aside:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

In a small bowl, whisk together just until blended:

• 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk

Add the egg mix to the flour mix and stir until just blended.

Melt 1/2 stick butter until frothy in 12 inch cast iron skillet or heavy pan of equal size. (I like to substitute 1 Tbsp. bacon grease for 1 of the butter, for extra flavor)

Pour batter into pan of hot butter, place in oven immediately. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and knife comes out clean when inserted in middle. Do not open oven while cooking. Cool 5 minutes.

Serve your puffy Dutch Bunny with powdered sugar or drizzled with maple syrup.

Source: Originally published in Yankee Magazine.

By Gloria from Scottsville, NY

Dutch Bunny

At first this didn't sound very appealing to me but seeing the photo of it on the plate with maple syrup made me change my mind ;-) Going to try it :-)

I have one question though (sounds dumb) but the only skillets I have are plastic handled ... I've done alot of cooking in my life but never placed a skillet in the oven ... Is it safe to place a plastic handled one in there ???

Thanks a bunch :-)

Yikes! I should have mentioned that you must use an iron skillet. No melt-able parts. Or use an equivalent baking dish. So sorry.

~gloria

Yikes! I should have mentioned that you must use an iron skillet. No melt-able parts. Or use an equivalent baking dish. So sorry. ~gloria

I love these. We grew up knowing them as "Dutch Babies". Raspberry jam or syrup is my favorite topping.

I have a recipe that scales it up/down for different sizes. I have made smaller ones in a medium custard cup and have also made them in glass 9-10 inch pie pans. I saw a cooking mail order catalog that sold special handle-less pans just for this. It looked quite like a paella pan. Something on the shallow size is best.

Kaelle,

Isn't it funny how there are so many names for this?

Oooh, jam sounds wonderful.

And yes, a more shallow dish or pan allows for the batter to puff up better. My iron skillet is just right, but a deep dish pie pan would probably work. But don't forget to melt your shortening of choice in it before pouring the batter in. Pouring batter into the hot pan/dish/skillet is what crisps the edges.

~gloria

This sounds wonderful! I cannot wait to try the recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastNovember 11, 2008
Little boy in a brown bunny costume.
Making an Easter Rabbit Costume
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Bunny Losing Its Fur
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dutch Girl Costume
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
🎄
🍂