Seasoning a Dutch Oven
Dutch ovens are a perfect way to cook some dishes. A well seasoned Dutch oven will help the meal you are cooking come out perfectly. This is a page about seasoning a Dutch oven.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
It is very important to season your dutch oven. Properly seasoning it will prevent rust, start the process of making it non-stick, and make clean-up easier. Follow these simple sets to season your dutch oven:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Wash your dutch oven to remove the protective coating that is applied at the factory. Scrub the oven, including the lid, with warm water and soap. NOTE: This will be the only time that you will use soap on your dutch oven. Using soap on it leave a soapy taste in your food.
- Dry off your dutch oven and place the oven and lid in the oven. Leave the oven door ajar. Heat your dutch for 15 minutes to get rid of any addition moisture.
- Remove the dutch oven. Shut the oven door and increase the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Using a cotton cloth or paper towels coat the whole dutch oven (inside, outside and the lid) with a generous amount of vegetable oil or shortening. Wipe off any excess.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil. Make sure the pan is larger than the dutch oven so that it will catch all of the drips. You can also use an oven liner if your pan isn't big enough.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven on the lowest shelf. Set the dutch oven on the shelf above it upside down. This will ensure that all of the oil drip offs, instead of pooling inside. Place the lid, handle side up.
- Set a timer for 60 minutes. NOTE: It is a good idea to open your windows because there will be some smoke.
- Using a pot holder, carefully remove remove the dutch oven and lid.
- Allow it to cool.
- Use paper towels or a cotton cloth to wipe off any excess oil.
- Repeat steps 5-10.
You can also season your dutch oven in your BBQ grill if your dutch oven fits inside with the lid fully closed. Just follow the above sets when using your grill. This is a great option, because it keeps the smoke and mess outside.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.