How to Dispose of Paint and Other Hazardous Materials

My storage room was filled with half cans of paint (I just redecorated,) varnish, old paint thinner and stripper. My trash people told me that they could not haul this to the landfill so I called our county extension office and they told me that most counties now have a hazardous waste drop off where you can drop items like these for disposal.

Well, that's great but here is my idea. Why not swap those last bits of paint and varnish with a friend. I loved the color that my friend painted her living room and now I have a desk painted that color. I covered the paint with a little leftover poly and I have a great looking desk.

By Debra in Colorado

Also, if you live in an area that has gang graffiti there is usually a county or city organization that can use your old paint to mix with others and cover the areas damaged by the graffiti.

A red gas can.
Disposing of Household Hazardous Waste
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingOctober 11, 2004
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎄