Moisten String Used to Tie Packages

contest winner icon

Dampen string before using to tie packages. The string then will not slip during the work. As it dries, it will shrink itself tighter than you could possibly have pulled it.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

This posting took me back to my childhood and watching my Grandmother make up parcels at Christmas. Thick brown paper (recycled before they knew the word) and strong string also kept for a "you never know" day.

From the USPO website: Tape your box shut and reinforce the seams with 2" wide tape. Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape. Do not use cord, string, or twine because it gets caught in mail processing equipment. (https://www.usps.com/ship/box-packaging.htm)

People used to use duck/duct tape for mailing packages too, but since 9/11 the post office doesn't allow that. Anyway I assume it was after 9/11 because shortly after that I went to the post office to mail a package that was secured with duct tape and they offered to redo it for me with regular packaging tape. The rule of not being able to wrap boxes in brown paper for mailing makes it hard to re-use boxes that have advertising on them for mailing too. The last few years I have had to buy shipping boxes because of this. Living in an apartment I don't have room to store empty shipping boxes when I receive a pkg. in the mail.

I like this idea! And I envisioned it being used for wrapping presents and such. Not sending through the mail, but it's good to know the restrictions on that, too. I like wrapping presents with string or ribbon, but can never seem to get it tight enough once I start tying. Will definitely remember this.

I live in an apartment too and have limited space. I save boxes that I receive in the mail by taking them apart. That way they are flat and take very little room. A couple of strips of tape and they are good as new.

I always re-use boxes that I've received ... from wherever. I just break them completely down. Turn them wrong side out and re-tape them. They're as good as new.

Brown Paper Package Tied With String
Tying Packages
Better Living Simple LivingNovember 1, 2010
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
tie dye leaf pattern note card
Making Tie-Dye Note Cards
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 11:58:27 AM on 10.0.0.159 in 978 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.