Tying Packages

Category Simple Living
Sometimes trying to tie string around a package can be frustrating, as it slips and loosens up. This is a guide about tying packages.

Dampen string before using to tie packages. The string then will not slip during the work. As it dries, it will shrink itself tighter than you could possibly have pulled it.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

This posting took me back to my childhood and watching my Grandmother make up parcels at Christmas. Thick brown paper (recycled before they knew the word) and strong string also kept for a "you never know" day.

From the USPO website: Tape your box shut and reinforce the seams with 2" wide tape. Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape. Do not use cord, string, or twine because it gets caught in mail processing equipment. (https://www.usp  ox-packaging.htm)

People used to use duck/duct tape for mailing packages too, but since 9/11 the post office doesn't allow that. Anyway I assume it was after 9/11 because shortly after that I went to the post office to mail a package that was secured with duct tape and they offered to redo it for me with regular packaging tape. The rule of not being able to wrap boxes in brown paper for mailing makes it hard to re-use boxes that have advertising on them for mailing too. The last few years I have had to buy shipping boxes because of this. Living in an apartment I don't have room to store empty shipping boxes when I receive a pkg. in the mail.

I like this idea! And I envisioned it being used for wrapping presents and such. Not sending through the mail, but it's good to know the restrictions on that, too. I like wrapping presents with string or ribbon, but can never seem to get it tight enough once I start tying. Will definitely remember this.