Chamomile Tea for Lightening Hair

I have heard that chamomile tea will make you go blonder? Is that true? and if so how do I use it?

By Meghan

Yes, it's true. What you do is you buy an enamel or glass pot to make a rinse. (Metal pots will react with the chamomile and alter its lightening effect), then add 1 or 2 cups of the tea to heated water in the pot. Allow it to boil gently for 30 minutes. Let it cool to a comfortable, lukewarm temperature before you use it. This can take several hours, then strain the chamomile flowers through a plastic sieve and collect the liquid in a bowl.

Wash your hair as usual and use the chamomile lightening liquid as a final rinse. When you pour it through your hair, catch it into the bowl again and rinse it through your hair several times this way, then finally dry your hair in the sun if possible, as this strengthens the effect of the chamomile rinse. Use the tea often to keep your subtle highlights fresh or to attain the effect you desire.

I'm dark-haired, but I used to use a chamomile rinse simply because it left my hair feeling so nice. :-)

I think you can achieve the same result using lemons too. Work lemon juice into your hair, go out into the sun for about an hour (not longer) and then rinse your hair out. If you do this several times you will definitely start noticing a difference.

I know this post is from 3 yrs ago, but the directions are not clear. You say to use 1 - 2 cups of "tea" when I think you meant to say 1 - 2 cups of chamomile flowers which creates the tea?

I use chamomile to lighten my hair and love it. My method is to take a 12 oz. spray bottle and fill with very warm water and one chamomile tea bag. Let it sit until it cools down. Sometimes I spray it on my hair after washing or sometimes just on dry hair. Then you can either blow dry or go sit in the sun. I find that if I use more than one tea bag it dries out my hair slightly.

Lightening Hair Naturally
Lightening Hair Naturally
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair TipsMarch 20, 2010
Chamomile Tea and Flowers
Using Chamomile
Woman in towel combing wet blond hair
Lightening Your Hair With Hydrogen Peroxide
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink