Tempera Paint Stain Removal

I am a therapist that works with children and have ruined clothes due to the children painting with tempera paint. The children also have ruined clothes. Is there a way to remove the dried paint from clothes?

Alice from Cleburne, TX

Best Answer

When my husband was getting his undergraduate degree he worked at the campus daycare. What they did was add dish soap to the liquid tempura it would come right out. I think baby laundry soap added to it would work as well.

Best Answer

Before I get the paint out, I put on a smock. The kids wear smocks, too. Liquid soap added to the paint does help, but isn't foolproof. I ruined a lot of good clothes in the classroom before I became consistent with wearing a smock!

You can always go to a thrift store and buy a few men's shirts. We used to wear them to paint and always wore them with the buttons down the back and the sleeves rolled up ! I still have the one I wore in Kindergarten

So my children got two new clothing items 4 Christmas. I was hoping that some one would know how to remove the already dried paint. Is it hopeless some one please! The paint is not washable. It should not be on the bottle.

Today I had the joy of removing blue tempera paint from my daughter's pink sweater. Yes, the paint had dried before I picked her up from preschool and no, this was not her art day -- accidents happen. So this is what I did to get the stain out:

I soaked all the spots of dried paint with SHOUT and then scrubbed each spot with a soft brush. Then I soaked each spoke with deep cleanse WISK and scrubbed each spot again. I washed the sweater in with other laundry in cold water and low and behold the blue paint is gone! I am so excited as blue tempera paint is horrid to remove from white cotten clothing (of which I have never been able to remove). So if you have a knitted sweater, try this method as I had no color bleeding or fading today on this project! I can only hope that this method is helpful to others.

Photo of a man painting his house.
Removing Paint Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsSeptember 13, 2006
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Powdered Tempera Paint
Mixing Powdered Tempera Paint
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick