Removing Paint Stains from Clothing

Paint stains can be difficult to remove, especially if they are allowed to dry. Depending on the type of paint stain, you will want to use different stain removal methods. This is a guide about removing paint stains from clothing.

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

This is a guide about removing latex paint stains on jeans. Although water based, latex paint can be a challenge to remove from clothing especially after it has dried.

A man painting and wearing paint spattered jeans.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing paint stains from dried clothing. A surprising solution for dried paint on clothing can be hair spray.

A purple shirt with white paint spatters.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Once this paint has dried it can be nearly impossible to remove from many fabrics. This is a guide about removing acrylic paint from clothing.

lots of paint spilled on jeans

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am a therapist that works with children and have ruined clothes due to the children painting with tempera paint. The children also have ruined clothes. Is there a way to remove the dried paint from clothes?

Alice from Cleburne, TX

Answers

Best Answer

When my husband was getting his undergraduate degree he worked at the campus daycare. What they did was add dish soap to the liquid tempura it would come right out. I think baby laundry soap added to it would work as well.
Reva

Best Answer

Before I get the paint out, I put on a smock. The kids wear smocks, too. Liquid soap added to the paint does help, but isn't foolproof. I ruined a lot of good clothes in the classroom before I became consistent with wearing a smock!

How do you get pink paint out of a blue sweatshirt?

By Holly G.

Answers

Best Answer

Chances are you can't get the stain out. Unless it was textile paint that sets with heat. Any other kind of paint is permanent. Don't throw the sweatshirt away though, find a great applique at your local craft store and put it over the stain. If that looks off-center, add more stuff to the sweatshirt to make it look trendy. You can find all kinds of books in the library on re-making clothes. Also, there are lots of books on making sweatshirts into jackets.

Even if you don't sew, use the iron-on appliques you find and you can add lots of other embellishments by using products such as Steam-a-Seam 2 that permanently bond fabric to fabric. It also will bond appliques that aren't iron-on. One book I saw for non-sewers uses a glue gun to put on the embellishments. It even uses it to keep seams together if you don't have a sewing machine.

In most of the other questions about grease stains, nacho cheese stains, orange stain, salad dressing the answer is the same. I have successfully removed stains using a product that is made to take grease off car mechanics hands. One of the ones I have used is called Go-Jo, but there are lots of others. You find those in the car department at Wal-Mart or Target and you can find them at your local car parts store. I have even found them in the dollar store. I use this product often to get the stains around my husband's shirt collars off. You just rub it in thoroughly and then throw it in the wash with the rest of the laundry. Don't put it on and let it sit, put the article in the washer immediately. There are lots of books about cleaning that mention this product.

Best Answer

If it was oil based paint, sponge turpentine on it. Blot with clean rag to prevent paint from spreading. For water based paint scrape off excess wash in hottest water possible.

I have a good sweat shirt that I got paint on. What is a good remedy for removal? The shirt is white and the paint black.

By Linda L. from St. Cloud, MN

Answers

Best Answer

If the paint is wet, you may be able to get it off with water (latex or acrylic paint) or paint thinner (oil based). If it is dry, there is nothing that I know of that will remove either kind of paint. Paint is made to be non-removable. If it came off, we wouldn't use it on our walls or paintings.

I wore my favorite jeans when helping my girlfriend paint her front room bright yellow. I got paint all down my pant legs. How do I get it out? Please help.

By Mia

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think you can get this out, sorry. I have never been able to get paint spots out of clothes. You might have been able to wash this out if you had tried immediately when the paint was wet, but after it has dried, I know of nothing that will remove paint.

I got green matte emulsion paint on my best white interview blouse. I've tried bleaching it several times but it won't wash out. Any suggestions?

By Jackie

Answers

Best Answer

Soak the blouse in white vinegar for several hours. Then use the back of a "butter" knife to scratch off the paint. If there's still paint residue, repeat process. My husband got white latex paint on his favorite Camo shirt and let it dry before he told me about it. I couldn't believe it when this method got it out. Good luck!

I just would like to know how I can get white paint off of a black work shirt and pants. I have been told that I can use laundry soap, but I would really like to know. I hope that you can help me.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

Answers

Best Answer

Hi, I do not know how wide and thick the paint stain is. I usually get mine off with cut-zit or any paste paint remover for furniture and wood. I use a very small round scrubber paint brush. I paint it on and wait about 10-15 minutes and go and use a plastic spoon or stainless and scrape it off. I do this a number of times.

Only thing black can look very worn looking when you do this over and over. However if the paint stain is real heavy (I mean thick) and wide it may not be worth it, but when I have small paint stains I test the fabric and do this. I have never bleached the fabric with it. Even black jeans can look worn in a spot you rub and rub to get out oily spots. Hope this helps.

I got white masonry paint on my partner's black t-shirt. Could somebody please advice me on how to remove it? Advice much appreciated.

By Claire from Scotland

Answers

Best Answer

Is it a latex paint? If it is, you might stand a chance by going to a home improvement store and asking for a product that removes paint when you have painted walls at home and got some on the woodwork. It might work the same on clothing. I cannot remember the exact name of it right now but if you tell them what I just said, they will probably know. If it is an oil paint, I think there probably would not be much luck in getting it out.

I got dried paint and a mud splatter on my spandex bike pants and don't know how to get it out.

By Grace R.

Answers

Best Answer

The best way to get rid of paint spatter is to try to carefully scrape off the paint from the spandex, trying to avoid snagging the fabric. The mud should soften if you soak it in water.

I was helping my friend paint his room, then I got paint all over my Under Armor Jacket. Does anyone have a solution to get the paint stain off?

By Bob

Answers

Best Answer

I do not know of any product that removes house paint from clothing. Sorry. If you tackle it before it dries, sometimes you have a chance, but otherwise, I think you will now have a very nice Under Armor paint jacket.

I got some tempera paint on my Rodgers jersey in art, how can I get it out? Any suggestions?

By Kaitie

Answers

Best Answer

Tempera paint is a water based paint. It should wash out in the regular laundry, I'd think.

How to get oil paint out of white sweater?

By vbirditt

Answers

Best Answer

I would try dish detergent, but I doubt there is much hope. I'm going to say you're not going to get it out, so you will have to cover it up somehow. Appliques, patches, or embroidery may be the way to go, but can get seriously expensive quickly. You probably are further ahead to wear it for painting or schlubbing arround the house and purchasing a new one for wear in public. You can find some great things at thrift stores for next to nothing!

My daughter got black paint on her lilac winter jacket and it's a real mess. I tried the rubbing alcohol, the hand sanitizer and the Goo Off. Nothing is working. Please help. She also got some on her jeans and I have tried all of the above without any luck too.

Marion from Chicago, IL

Answers

Nail polish remover, but test it in a hidden spot first.

Try WD40. I just got an email the other day about all it's uses, and one was paint stain removal, spray it on and was as usual. Hope it works for you.

Turpentine takes off paint if it is oil-based or enamel. You can also buy something called Turpenoid, which is a turpentine substitite, is odorless and can be found at art supply stores--maybe some hardware stores too. If there are layers, something like house paint remover that takes paint off in layers might work but some paint stains can never come off. If it's acrylic paint then soap and water should work (or try an art supply store for specialized removers) but if it's already dry it may be too late. You could try chipping it off. But at some point removing paint may not be worth it because the clothes will be destroyed and you just have to patch over the stains or give up.

When my kids had art class in school, they used to get paint on their clothes all the time. Lestoil works really well at getting paint off from clothes. I'm not sure if it works on all paint types, but it did work on the school paint. You just put some on the paint spot and rub it in. Hope this helps.

If your daughters jacket is made from a synthetic material then acetone, nail polish remover, and many other chemicals will start melting the fabric. Any oil based product such as WD-40, will leave an oil stain in the material leaving you with two things to try and remove.

When Latex or oil based paints dry on material, there is only one product that will truly remove it. Using anything else is a waste of money, time, and effort.

This product was first made for painters about one hundred years ago, to remove dried paint from their painting overalls and brushes. Back then, throwing them out and buying new ones was unheard of.

Unfortunately, this product is no longer sold in stores and needs to be bought directly from the manufacturer.
The product is called, "Save a Brush" made by Red Devil,Inc.. Phone # 1-800-423-3845 Ext. 3036 cost $ 2.50 a bag

How do I get an indoor, white paint stain (now covered by black permanent marker) out of my daughter's black polyester, crinoline and nylon dress?

By Stephanie from St. Louis, MO

Answers

Use odorless mineral spirits. You can find at Home improvement stores. Learned this from a carpet cleaner friend who uses it to remove paint from carpet. Just remember to blot and not rub it out.

Try rubbing Goop handcleaner into the paint and leave it on a while to soften it. Then, scrape it with a knife to get as much off as possible. Repeat if needed, then launder.

You can try fingernail polish remover, but that could ruin the dress.

How about one of these ideas:
Cover the white paint with more permanent black pen, then put an iron-on black lace applique over it. These iron-on black lace appliques come in all sizes & shapes & are sold at the fabric store & sometimes you can find them in the craft isle at Walmart & no sewing needed! You can even cut one of the lace appliques down to size by cutting around the design. Use several paper towels over the fabric when you iron-on the applique to help protect it from the heat!

You could also embroider the area with small black beads. Or use black fabric paint to paint a simple vine over the stain, then cover the wet black fabric paint with black micro-glitter. Then when paint is dry, shake off the extra glitter & the micro-glitter will only stick to where you painted. Or crochet a flower with thin black cotton "knit-cro-sheen" then stitch this crocheted flower over the stain.

* In my experience, Goop only works on oily & greasy stains, not on paint, but it's worth a try!

I used the hand wash that you don't need water for (the smell of it is enough to strip paint). Put a little bit on and rubbed in with a hard toothbrush. Just kept reapplying and brushing till it was all gone then washed as normal and all is well. Good luck.

I just received a beautiful black hip length jacket made of Polyurethane. I tried it on and it looks killer on me if I do say so myself! That's when I noticed on the left shoulder a thin vertical line of silver metallic paint about 1/4" to 1/2" in width and about 1 1/2" long. Also there's another 2" long, 1/4" wide streak directly down from the shoulder!

Do any of you have any ideas on how I might be able to clean this and remove the metallic paint? The outer shell of the jacket is made of 100% polyurethane and the INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEANING on the inside tag read: CLEAN WITH DAMP SPONGE, WIPE DRY, DO NOT DRY CLEAN, DO NOT IRON.

This has got me severely stumped! Any suggestions? I'd be forever grateful. Thank you so very much.

Answers

Take the jacket to the cleaners and have them look at it. They might not be able to do anything for you, but it can't hurt. If this is the case, perhaps you can be creative with ribbon or trim?

Could you just mark over the silver lines with a black "Sharpie" permanent marker? I'd try just a dot on the end of a silver mark to see if it would possibly cover it up. If it seems like it would work I'd carefully just cover the silver lines and not get ink on the adjacent material.It might need two "coats". Good Luck!

You could try a tiny bit of acetone nail polish remover on a q tip. BEFORE you try it on the paint, try it on an inner hem to be sure it doesn't alter the fabric itself. If it remains unchanged, do a tiny amount at a time, only adding more remover as needed to do the job. Change q tips frequently. After you are done clean the areas with mild soap on a damp sponge to remove any residue. Not much to lose at this point, unless you would wear it with the paint on it if you cannot get it out.

I got this pair of blue jogger pants and I wore it during a rave party. I didn't know that what there was a "paint war" so everybody was drenched with paint. They say it is only waterbased paint. I didn't wash it for few days and when I did, the paint wasn't removed. What should I do? Thanks.

Answers

Thank you ðŸ˜Ší ½

Anonymous

Nothing. After you washed it the paint stain is set in (believe me nothing is going to take it out )

How do I get paint off of Under Amour clothing?

Charcelia from The Woodlands, TX

Answers

There is a link with your post. Most are using hand sanitizer and or rubbing alcohol with success and some are using nail polish remover. I have used Goop hand cleaner on fresh paint and saved the clothes but I'm not sure it would help an older paint stain. Hope you can save the jersey

Hairspray, hot water and a toothbrush

I have got some dried emulsion paint on a lovely new duvet cover (cotton). How can I get it off? What is Goof Off?

Janine from Great Britain

Answers

A product called woolite oxydeep (carpet cleaner) has worked wonders on taking dried paint off of clothes and carpet in our home. Spot-check for color-fastness in a hidden area before using.hb

I have used mentholated spirits and it works, test small area for colour fastness. Use in a well ventilated room. Dab on, work in then wash in usual way. Hope it works for you.

My husband came home with his work pants covered in Rust-Oleum! It had already dried so I'm not sure if there's anything that I've seen on your site I should try. As you suggest several things for paint, which do I try first on this? No clue if it's oil or water based or even which of the products it was other than it had been spilled all over the floor and he had to try to clean the floor. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!

Answers

Most likely it will not be coming out of his clothing. I would say these are now his paint pants..

My boyfriend went to a paint party in Magaluf and has wrecked his trainers. The bright UV paint won't come off the white fabric areas. I've tried carefully bleaching the white parts, but I'm not seeing much result. Should I try white spirit? or does anyone have any better suggestions?
Thanks.

By Gemma

Answers

The white spirits should remove the paint. You can also try nail varnish remover-be sure it has acetone in it.

Can you get wet paint out of a swimsuit? I have pool-side paint on a spandex suit.

Stephanie from Seattle, WA

Answers

I got paint on my brand new white shirt and I need to get green and blue paint out of it.

The tag says 86% polyester and 14% Spandex. My little brother, being the impatient kid he is, decided he didn't want to wait a day for me to get off work to help him with his Spiderman costume my mom just spent 80 dollars on. Somehow he managed to get white paint spots on it, following up with red paint trying to cover it up. So I'm trying to save him from getting his Halloween for the next hundred years from being taken from him by trying to get it out. Help!

How do I remove house paint from dark black pants?

How do you remove paint from light colored denim after it has been in the washer and dryer?

How do I get white paint stains out of black dress pants.

By Shawna from Indianapolis, IN

Prom night prank! Bright orange/green luminous paint apparently from "glow sticks?" spilled on the shoulder of a brand new suit jacket from Reiss in navy, 100% cotton. Any ideas how to remove? It is well and truly dried on.

By S.W.

I got spray paint on my hoody. How do I get it off?

By Julie

I got a small white spot of paint on my basketball shorts and black t-shirt and I forgot about it. It was sitting in my room for a couple of days and the paint has dried. Is there anyway I can get the paint off?

By Alliyah X

I've tried rubbing alcohol and several types of stain removers, and thus far, nothing much worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

By Alan090250

How do you get black paint out of 100 percent polyester sweatpants?

By Stephanie

I picked up a white, oil based, paint stain on my navy blue rain proof polyester Gore-Tex jacket. It has been on the jacket for a couple of days, so it is nicely dried to material.

By Neil from Croydon, UK

We had a party today and we had to take white shirts to spray paint. Now little did I know that the paint would seep through onto my new Lycra swimming costume. How can I wash this out? Please help!

By Anna R

I got a small line of white paint on my black baseball (varsity) jacket. It's not a thick line and I already scrubbed at it and put it through the wash, but the stain is still there. Is there anyway to get rid of it? To make it worse the black also faded were I was scrubbing at the jacket, is there anyway to get rid of this? Thanks.

By Jordan T.

I had to paint my room last month. I was wearing my only and favorite tutu because I just got back from my little sister's bday party. (I may be a teen, but I love tutus.) I didn't think I would get paint on it, but I did. I have white paint on a black tutu. It is dry now and I need to get it out fast! Tomorrow is my picture day and I really want to wear the tutu. How can I get the paint out?

By Rose

I got white paint on my dark grey sweat pants. How do I get the paint out?

Load More