Removing Acrylic Paint From Clothing

Once this paint has dried it can be nearly impossible to remove from many fabrics. This is a guide about removing acrylic paint from clothing.

How do I take off craft paint on clothes?

By irene from Highland, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Acrylic craft paint is impossible to remove, in my experience. I am an artist, and use acrylic paints. I have a paint shirt that has numerous splotches on it; it has been laundered many many times, and the paint stays there. Sorry.

Best Answer

Once acrylic paint gets on fabric, you can't get it off. It's permanant. Works better than dye if you want to color a shirt or something. It can actually make fabric last longer, takes less time to wear out.

Best Answer

We had an small business of t-shirt printing before. Based in my experience there is no remedy for removing craft acrylic paint for clothes specially for those nylon and cotton clothes.

How do you get acrylic paint out of a cotton skirt?

Answers

Test this method before proceeding. Always make sure to find an area that you can test any cleaner on before applying it to the stain.

First run cold water on the back of the stain to remove as much of the paint as possible.
You will need Persil small & mighty Bio and a Stain Eraser ball. Pour a small amount of the product on the satin and rub the stain with the bottom of the ball. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Once the stain is removed wash the garment.

You can try rubbing alcohol and 409 kitchen cleanser. Use a toothbrush to get it in the stain. Rinse it out and wash as usual.

Dab some rubbing alcohol and allow it to soak the area. Then lightly rub the area. Good luck!

Try toothpaste scrub stain with a tooth brush,then add lemon juice, and dish soap scrub some more.Then wash as usual.

rubbing alcohol (especially really old rubbing alcohol) or nail polish remover. Acetone is pretty good about eliminating stains, and reconstituting old art brushes.

probably try out on fabric first though in my experience using rags and such acetone does not really mess with fabric per se or colour

Try nail polish remover.

Mix dawn dishwashing liquid and peroxide, using equal parts of each. Saturate the stain, and scrub well with a tooth brush. You might have to do this more than once. But I have had this work even on a shirt that had already been washed and dried before I discovered the paint.

In my expierience I have used acrylic paint all the time nce I got it on my favorite hoodie and I got it off using 409 kitchen cleaner, and tooth paste and rubbing alcohol.

How do you get dried on acrylic paint off of a hoodie jacket? It's just a few little spots. The packaging says it washes off, but I can't get it out of my jacket. I've tried to pick it all off and used soap and warm water, but nothing works.

I've done this before, and tried using the washing machine, it doesn't come out that way either. Does anyone know what to use? Thank you.

My painters had to come and redo all my trim after we moved in. The trim is white high gloss acrylic. I just got out my new red ballroom gown for a big event and found it has paint dots on an area approx. 4x6 right in the front! It's 100% Polyester that is iridescent red with bead and sequin work. Tag says "Do not wash, do not dry clean. Only professional spot clean". Not even sure where to take it. There is an area in the front of the dress (a 4x6 area) with about 10 small paint dots and one larger paint dot. All extremely noticeable on red. Any suggestions? My biggest concern is the colorfastness of the material. Help! This was an extremely expensive ball gown that still has the tags on it! Looking to wear it on 8/27/06. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TLS from Pasadena, CA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I would take a red permanent marker and color the white dots in...or see if it will peel off...let me know how it goes good luck gail2656 AT yahoo.com

This is a tough one. You could try goof off or another solvent on a Q-tip (check the ingredients on the bottle) and see if it takes out the paint. Because it is a very expensive gown, it might be best to take it to the best dry cleaner in town and ask them what they recommend. Anything with acetone should be avoided on a polyester material. Let us know how this turns out.

Susan from ThriftyFun

First thing is to contact the painting contractor owner and complain. Show him the spots, the price tag, and let him know that you are concerned.

A good painter, always puts down drop clothes to protect everything and obviously, this was not done. As for the paint coming out, it might be better if you make the contractor buy you a new gown.

How do I get dried acrylic paint off of shoelaces?

By PamelaMauter from Villa Park, IL

Answers

I suggest you try a solvent, such as alcohol or methylated spirits. Then rub the affected area quite hard.

Buy new laces

So I had this shirt with acrylic paint all over it and I washed and dried it. The problem is that I washed it with other clothes and now some of the other shirts have paint stains on them, it looks like dye stains. The problem is that none of those shirts are mine and I am freaking out!

Answers

I paint with acrylic paint all the time, and I have never had the paint transfer. Was the paint wet? However, I've never been able to remove the paint either. Once it is one your clothes, and dry, you are stuck with it. I have heard, although never tried it, that Amaze (powdered stain remover) will remove it. Friends said they used it to get paint off of a car seat. Couldn't hurt to try. Best of luck.

How do I get bright neon orange acrylic paint out of white material?

Answers

Removing paint

Step 1
Fill a 5 -gallon pail with the hottest tap water

Step 2
Add 2T each powdered dishwasher detergent and hydrogen peroxide

Step 3
Add the stained garment

Step 4
Soak overnight

Step 5
Wash in the morning

So, I accidentally washed and dried my grey skinny jeans with acrylic paint on them and didn't realize it was on till after. How do I get it off?

By Leo C.

Answers

Soak the spots in rubbing alcohol until it softens then wash spot by hand until clean. I used rubbing alcohol to strip the paint off a night stand so be careful around other painted surfaces.

How do I get acrylic paint off of a ski jacket?

Laurie from Ironwood, Michigan

Answers

I have had very good luck on alot of surfaces and fabrics with Awesome, which I buy at our local dollar store. Try it on an area which is not seen first.

How do I get dried up black acrylic paint off of polyester gym shorts?

By Scott P.

I would like to know how to get acrylic paint stains out of cotton fabric and cotton/polyester fabrics. My kids were doing crafts at camp and got paint on their good clothes, how can i remove the unwanted stains?

Marleen

Answers:

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I removed white paint off my husbands navy jacket with Pine Sol. Don't know why I even tried it but the paint was not fresh and it came out with some rubbing. (08/22/2005)

By siris

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I have found a product called Goof Off II worked well for removing acrylic paint......spray well and rub it in and wash as usual. I have had a few that needed several treatments/washes but it all came out for me . Good luck! I got mine at Menards. (08/24/2005)

By Donna

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I'm an artist and have had the same thing happen. I've had luck with a product called "Krud Kutter." This stuff is great. A hardware salesperson turned me on to it and I will be forever grateful. It's also quite cheap. What a deal! Good Luck!
(08/25/2005)

By Barbara Calfee

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

I was successful removing acrylic paint with WD-40. Took some rubbing, but it did dissolve most of the dried paint. (02/23/2006)

By Seth

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

Original Pine Sol (15% pine oil) works! Pour big glob on stain and immediately scrub with toothbrush. This removed 2 week old dried (in some cases already washed with other ineffective stain removers) acrylic paint from denim, cotton knits and spandex. Got the tip on this site. (09/10/2006)

By Joanne Kelly

Does anyone know how to remove black art paint from my child's white poly cotton sports shirt?

By Sue from Perth, Australia

My husband did a load of my girls good school clothing. I now have a very expensive mess! Any ideas to save this much clothing without taking a week off work? Thanks for your help.

Margie from Illinois

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Craft Paint From Clothing

http://www.ehow.com/how_6918_clean-acrylic-paints.html

Tips & Warning:

Dried acrylic paint will not come out of fabric.

Marge from NY

(09/23/2007)

By Marjorie

How can I remove paint from 100% cotton clothing. I think it is an acrylic paint.

By Netta Morgan from Covington, LA

Answers:

Acrylic Paint on Clothing

Try nail polish remover first and if that doesn't work try acetone. (07/31/2010)

By domo

I have a dried red stain from acrylic paint in my jeans, how can I remove it?

How do you get acrylic paint off of clothes?

My blue colored shirt has got a few deep white spots of acrylic paint. Please help with suggestions on how to remove these stains.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.