Good enough to serve as dessert!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (not the pudding type)
- 4 large eggs (preferably brown eggs)
- 2 sticks butter (margarine)
- 1 large can of real pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (small can)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I use pecans.)
Make in 3 Layers.
Reserve one cup of cake mix for later use. Mix balance of cake mix with one beaten egg and one stick melted butter. Mix well and press into 9 x 13 greased and floured pan.
Take pumpkin, 3 eggs, brown sugar, 1/2 white sugar, evaporated milk and cinnamon. Mix all well and pour over bottom layer.
Take reserved cup of cake mix; add 1/2 cup white sugar, butter, and nuts. Mix well, cutting in softened butter or margarine) to make crumblike topping. Sprinkle over middle layer. Top with pecan halves.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving. Optional: Top with whipped cream when served. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 12-15 servings.
Source: I got this recipe from my niece. It has become a family favorite at holiday dinners. It's probably the most complimented pumpkin recipe I've ever made.
By Sandy from Elon, NC