Treating Fleas with WD-40

I just received a forward that said you can use WD-40 on dogs to keep off fleas and flies. I haven't been able to verify this. Does anyone know if it's true? I live in the country in Florida. I've tried everything to keep pests off my dogs. Obviously I can't treat 11 acres for fleas. Any suggestions?

By ew954

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,754 05/24/2009

If I was a dog I sure wouldn't want my owner spraying me with WD-40. Read the toxic chemicals on the spray can?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Patsy 5 58 05/24/2009

I know you can use it on Horses & cows but I haven't heard you can on dogs. You can check with WD-40 web site or Real Simple.com and ask this question. Its not directly sprayed on the horses or cows so that may make a difference.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Linda Brady 17 05/24/2009

Isn't WD-40 non-toxic? I know it's made from fish oils.

Editor's Note: According to the company's website, WD-40 is made primarily from mineral spirits (petroleum) and does not contain any fish oil. They do not recommend using it on skin or internally.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By PENNY K 15 562 05/24/2009

WD-40 is toxic! What is that Avon product? Skin so Soft, I'd use that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kelly Penny 4 14 05/24/2009

I also live in the country in Florida and have a terrible flea problem. I do use the lime dust for running off fleas, and it is pretty inexpensive, but I don't think it is a definite cure, just helps keep them from being as bad as they could be. I would like to have any information on this also; any ideas are greatly appreciated.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Tapestry Lady 2 197 05/24/2009

WD-40 is toxic! It's flammable and can cause lung damage and skin irritation in humans. The effects on smaller animals like dogs would probably be worse. Prolonged exposure might actually kill your pet. It's made from chemical ingredients, not fish oil. Please don't use it on pets!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lee Taylor 15 426 05/29/2009

There was just a story on ABC News last night about the increase of deaths in pets due to flea medicines. Pet deaths have increased 47% in just the past year due to flea medications! Be very careful when applying any of the "top spot" kind where you put liquid drops of medicine on their skin! They are now recommending you only put one small drop on first and see if your dog has a bad reaction (foaming at the mouth, loss of appetite, lethargic, etc ). Then, if your dog seems OK the next day you can give them HALF the flea treatment. Wait two weeks and then give the other half. And certainly don't EVER use a product on animals that isn't approved for them! We are to be their caretakers, not mad scientists! You can probably find more info about the flea medicine deaths on the ABC News website.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 05/29/2009

If you wouldn't put it in ur mouth, don't put it on the dog. The skin is the largest organ in the body and is very porous. It takes things into the blood stream. DO NOT USE WD-40, for anything, not even lubricant. It's lousy. For lubeing stuff, use LPS, they have many different lubes.

For fleas, I use an insecticide for fleas, but for something, maybe naturally, try, boric acid powder and/or diatomaceous earth. Boric acid sticks to them and dehydrates them. Diatomaceous earth is made from diatoms and their skeletons have a lot of tiny sharp edges and cuts them up. The boric acid may disinfect the bites on the dog, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cathy 1 35 05/29/2009

Buy 4 lemons and cut into sections, do not peel lemons. Boil these in a medium size pan full of water. Boil for about 15 min. strain and put into spray bottle. Spray this mixture on your pet and it helps keep insects off them. I used it for flies and skeeters and it works. Store any left over in the fridge.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kathryen 8 68 05/30/2009

I just went to Snopes.com (a place that you can check to see if what you've read or heard is true, false, or not yet known). Snopes reports that some people spray their skin with WD-40 to relieve arthritis. But it is NOT on WD-40's list for use on humans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No