Organizing in Advance for Traveling

Getting ready for a trip used to be such a hassle for me. Trying to gather up all the necessities, hoping I didn't forget anything, invariably finding out I did forget something. Plus I'd wind up taking 4 huge suitcases for a 3 day trip because of everything I was taking. Then I decided to get organized.

Now I have a bin in my bathroom that I have labeled "Travel". In it I have travel size bottles for shampoo/conditioner, lotions, mouthwash, a small spray bottle for hair spray, and all the other things. There's even a mini hair dryer in there. In this bin I also keep travel size pet food dishes, and any other travel size pet needs. And there are 2 seven day pill dispensers for any meds I may be on.

On my computer I have a file titled "Travel" and 3 sub-files under it titled "Summer", "Winter", and "Spring/Fall". Each sub-file has a list of everything I will need for a trip during that season of the year. The only thing I have to do is go through and put how many of each I will need depending on how long I will be gone. Then I print out the list and put it in a page protector and put it in my suitcase.

As I pack I refer to the list, checking each item off as it gets packed. The night before leaving I go through and recheck the list against the suitcase just to be sure. This way I know I have everything and nothing is forgotten.

Now if a last minute trip comes up (which happens a lot in our family!), I can be packed and ready to go in a matter of 1-2 hours, and not have forgotten a thing.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Storage the list in luggage is such a good idea. Never thought of that.

Have been doing this for years. I take it a couple of steps further: have the basic list on the computer for each season, short or long trip, and start revising it a few weeks ahead. That way, if I think of something to add/delete, I can do it in advance. I love making lists, and my family is rather amused by them, but no so much when I have everything I need for that specific trip and they have forgotten something. Then, too, I love the anticipation of a trip and this just adds to it. Great idea to share with others.

Great idea about 'seasonal' lists,I hadn't thought of that! I think it would be great to hear other travel tips! I do a lot of the other stuff too. I keep all my travel size stuff you listed in a large toiletry bag, along with a toothbrush,small hairbrush, nail clippers, etc & never unpack it. Another neat thing (especially with kids), is to put together entire outfit (socks, undies, clothes) & put each outfit into a gallon ziplock bag-partially seal it, then put it on a chair & carefully sit on it to remove the air & zip it shut.

Doing it this way takes up way less space in the suitcase,& when you take the clothes off at the end of the day, you re-pack in the bag -keeps the dirty stuff separated!Kids can just grab a bag & have their outfit without making a mess going through everything. You can get 1 1/2-2 gal ziplock bags for adult size stuff & a funny thing, if you fold the clothes right, they come out of the bags with very few wrinkles, unlike packing in a suitcase, so you don't need a travel iron! I've even done this with my favorite pillow so I can take it!

Another thing, I have 1 overnight bag, where I pack 1 outfit & night clothes for every family member, along with the toiletries, contact stuff, etc that we would need for the night if we are stopping overnight on the road. I also add a healthy snack to hold the kids over in the AM while we're getting ready to leave the hotel-that way when we check in,we don't have to haul a bunch of luggage in for everyone, just 1 bag!

I keep a filled travel bag in the suitcase. Remember, though, if you take the 7-day med case to make sure it is empty until you get to where you're going. According to the laws, Meds need to be in their original bottles.

A bag of travel basics
Organizing for Travel
Organizing TravelMarch 16, 2010
Family eating food while on vacation.
Saving Money on Food When Traveling
Mother Getting on Plane with Young Children
Traveling with an Infant
Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies