Tips for Selling a Car on Craigslist
Having sold a number of cars on Craigslist, I have learned a few lessons the hard way. Here are some tips that may save you some headaches if you are considering selling a car on Craigslist:
- Only accept cash.
- If you decide to accept a check, complete your sale at the bank so that you can verify sufficient funds.
- Make a copy of their driver's license or copy down the information prior to a test drive.
- Ask to see their insurance card.
- If you feel comfortable, ride along.
- If possible, meet prospective buyers in a public place instead of your home.
- Bring a friend or relative with you, especially if you are a woman.
- Make sure you file your title with DMV immediately. This releases your liability with the car.
- Always write a contract and establish what, if any, guarantees you are making. State whether it is an As-Is sale. Have the by and yourself sign and date it. Give them a copy as their receipt.
- Be safe and be through!
Add your voice to the conversation.