Selling Items on Craigslist

Category Business
There are no fees when selling items on Craigslist, but there are other things you should keep in mind. This guide is about selling items on Craigslist.

Many people are now selling on Craigslist and on Facebook swap sites. I can't get over how many of the photo ads show the item for sale covered in dust and in a filthy setting. If you are selling an item and it looks like this, people are going to naturally assume that you didn't take good care of it, and will not want to give you top dollar.

Clean the item before taking the picture and make sure it is in a clean setting. If I want to buy a TV, I want to buy a clean one, not one covered with dust and with a dirty litter box beside it and a diaper on top of it in the picture. If you are selling electronics, make sure the item is clean, with no dust between keys or in air vents. If the item is fabric (clothing, curtains, or bedding) make sure it is clean and well aired out, not smelling musty, or smelling like animals or smoke.

When you go to meet your buyer, don't have them come to your home unless you know them. Instead, meet them in a public place, such as Walmart or McDonalds in the parking lot. Women, take a man with you, even if it is the neighbor, for safety reasons. Specify to the seller you are selling for cash only, no checks, and that you will not have change, so they will have the correct amount.

By April from NW, MO

We buy a lot of items on craigslist and if the listing doesn't have a picture attached then we usually just pass it by. So, when selling something on Craigslist always include a picture of the item you are selling. As the saying goes "A picture says a thousand words."

By Sharon from Modesto, CA

If you have a few items that are in good shape and want to sell, try Craigslist.com. It's a community based website where you list your items with photos for free and people in your area look for items. I have sold a ton of my stuff here.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Editor's Note: Click on the link above, do not post things for sale in the feedback at ThriftyFun. They will just be deleted.

Someone mentioned Craigslist on the ThriftyFun website. I went there and am having so much fun. I want to thank whoever gave that suggestion to go there to find something you are looking for.

I have sold over $100 on items I've picked up at the curb. I fix it, stain it, or just clean it and then sell it on Craigslist.org. It's local so people search for their state and then the city near them and then do their shopping.

All communication is done through e-mail unless one or the other chooses to give out their phone #. I always meet them at a mall or restaurant to exchange $ and the item they bought. I take someone with me if I can for security sake. It's a way to get rid of bigger items that didn't sell at your garage sale.

Of course you wouldn't want to sell clothing or small items. I don't think people would waste their time driving for them. Unless it's an unusual item like collectibles. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with all you Thrifty Fun, frugal living friends on this website. Thanks again!

When selling a vehicle, it is important to be safe and thorough to avoid learning lessons the hard way. This guide is about selling your car on Craigslist.

Selling Your Car

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

When selling a large cost item on Craigslist, what is the safest payment method to use?

Answers

Best Answer

Cash is what I like. I would never take a check. If it's a big ticket item you can always complete the deal at a bank. For example, have them get you a cashiers check from their bank, meet there, cash the check or verify it's authenticity and then exchange goods. I believe postal money orders can be cashed at a post office, so that might be another option.

Could you walk me through step by step to download pictures of my equipment that I have for sale to Craigslist or eBay?

By jes-real from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Answers

Best Answer

It is very easy once you fine your picture on Craig's list just right click select copy image than paste it in a document. Or in Photoshop or you can do a screen capture hold down alt then click print screen then paste either in a document or Photoshop. But if you do print screen you will get everything that is on the screen and you'll need to edit it.

Load More