Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

Category Miscellaneous
office chair
Buying a mat to use underneath an office chair can be expensive. If you can't find one for a good price you might be able to make one. This is a guide about inexpensive chair mat ideas.

A regular office-sized floor mat would have been too big for my home office. So I bought a transparent auto floor mat from the dollar store, and put it lengthwise over the carpet for my rolling desk chair. It works fine.

By Pamphyila from LA, CA

Read 1 Comment

This is a guide about making an office chair mat. Your office chair may require a mat either to protect the flooring or because it does not roll on carpet. Either way you can make your own and not have to purchase an expensive one at the store.

plywood chair mat

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I downsized from a home with very low carpeting to an apartment that has high pile carpeting. My computer chair will not roll on the high pile carpeting. I bought a chair mat, but it "walked". I was told to buy a chair mat for high pile carpeting, but the cost was $120 dollars! Does any one have a suggestion as what I could substitute for a a chair mat or where I could find a more reasonably priced one?

By Helen

Best Answer

I just thought of an idea that will work. Buy a sheet of thick plywood and cut to size that will work for your office desk area and bevel the edges and paint the board the color of your carpet. That's the most inexpensive way to go and I'm going to do it like this the next time I need to replace.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Purchase an office chair mat from an office supply store. Office chair mats are durable and they are available in clear and in colors. Be sure the one you choose is for thick pile carpet and if you look around you can often find them on sale. You can find them from anywhere around $25.00 to $60.00 USD.

Do not use plywood! The fibers used to make that wood will work their way into the fibers of the carpet and damage the carpet from the movement over time.

Best Answer

Plywood can work great. I used a piece of scrap I had lying around and cut it to fit my application exactly (something you may not be able to do with a sore-bought plastic mat). I initially had some problems with the plywood delaminating and splintering but I fixed that by applying three coats of polyurethane. Total cost was about $11.00 for one quart of Min-wax polyurethane and my wife and I like the look. I have had no problems with the plywood damaging the carpet underneath.

Best Answer

Buy plywood with "one side good". Cut and glue bamboo laminate flooring to the "bad" bad side. (About $2/sq ft) Seal the good side (the part that faces the carpet) with two coats of polyurethane. If you want to be 'fancy' bevel the edges and seal those too.

I need a low cost solid chair mat for my home office, I can't afford the retail ones. Does anyone know if I could use Plexiglas or lumber? Help!

maryjoyful from Greenville, SC

Answers:

Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

I too have the same problem. If you get wood, it would have to be pretty thick, like at least 1/4".

Plywood might work, but I would get what is (or used to be called) lemonite (sp)?

It's basically wood chips mixed with a resin type substance, and then shaped into a mold. It's almost the best wood you can buy for flooring, even tho' most people want to use pressboard.

Pressboard is just sawdust compressed and sealed into a thin layer of resin. That is why, when you have a spill or a leak, the floor or shelf or cabinet starts to "swell".

The photo I sent is from Home Depot, and it's 7/16" by 4' by 8' for just 8.00

You might even be able to make two out of that. Or, you can make a big one and use the rest for something else.

Good luck! (11/15/2008)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

Hey there. I just got home with a 4' x 8' sheet of the smooth plywood, and it is wonderful! It doesn't look the best, but I'm thinking I might buy some of those inexpensive peel and stick floor tiles to cover it with. I've been toying with this idea for over a year, fighting the cheapo plastic chair mat I had and finally got irritated enough to go get one, $14 @ Lowe's. My husband is getting a real kick out of making sure when asked what I got for Christmas from him this year, I lead the list off with "a piece of plywood". He thinks I'm the strangest wife ever! LOL. Anyway, good luck with your mats. I'm loving mine! (12/13/2008)

By Indy