Keeping Peanut Butter Smelling Fresh

I read somewhere that there is something that can be put in with peanut butter to keep it from smelling rancid?

By Joyce from Tombstone, AZ

I think that if peanut butter smells rancid then it IS rancid and should be thrown out.

I agree with Wendopolis.

Things smell rancid so we know when to trash them.

I own a high speed Vita-Mixer and make my own peanut butter. Home-made nut butters don't contain preservatives, so it has to be refrigerated. I never have the problem of rancid peanut butter.

If it smells funny IT IS FUNNY, Toss IT! With the contaminated peanut butter issues, if you have not bought a name brand, toss it and call the company. If it is a name brand, check with their website and click the CONTACT US button for questions. The price of the jar is not worth someones life.

Peanut butter will keep for a long time before the jar is unsealed, but only six weeks (at most) once the seal is broken. If you want to keep your peanut butter fresh, use it up. If that means buying a smaller jar (with a slightly higher price-per-ounce), that's still cheaper than buying a huge jar and having to throw out half of it because it's gone bad.

I don't know of anything to keep peanut butter fresh, except storing it in the refrigerator. Peanut butter go so fast in my house, it does not get a chance to go bad. I usually buy 2 very large jars!! I have grandkids and 2 teenage sons that eats it almost on a daily basis. Not to meantion, I love peanut butter and banana sandwich that I eat often.

I have a 2 kg jar of Kraft Peanut butter. Can't use it up really quickly. Does anyone know if I can freeze half of it? Will it affect the texture? Thanks for all the good info on this site.

I agree with all the others...if it smells rancid, then it IS rancid and should be discarded.

According to www.stilltastycom, unrefrigerated pb should last up to 3 months and refrigerated up to 6 months: http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17924

Regular peanut butter lasts a long time at room temp, and can be refrigerated for much longer periods. Peanut butter that doesn't contain preservatives needs to be kept in the frig. If the peanut butter smells rancid, it is spoiled, and you must throw it out. I have never frozen peanut butter, but I think that you could do so. I don't see why not.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceApril 3, 2009
peanut butter bars with chocolate and bacon
Peanut Butter Bars Recipes
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
🎄