Guinea Pigs Seem Skittish

I bought two Guinea pigs and they are "so" scared of me. They hide whenever they hear footsteps and they barely eat. How can I get them to warm up to me? Help.

By yayforcats from Duncansville, PA

Hi There, Here are a bunch of links to this situation. ... ed+of+me&ei=UTF-8&fr=hp-pvnb

I would get it a treat, like just a little bit of green leafy lettuce. Not much it will cause loose stools.

Make a crackling sound every time you get a treat out of the a carrot or leafy lettuce or kale..... Don't just put the food in the cage. Let the pig come out or even make eye contact with you before you put the treat down. I would do this a lot, and then start talking softly all the time to it.

A good thing to do is to put a notebook by the pigs cage and write down how many minutes you talk to it or talk with it. I did this with my bird to get it over it's nervousness. I would go several times an hour and spend a minute or two talking softly. It really adds up! Good luck!

Guinea pigs are timid by nature. They need to learn to trust you. It takes time and a lot of patience. The feeding idea Robyn had is very good. I had guinea pigs for years and after a while they would start their squeaking noises just by hearing the refrigerator open! They knew the lettuce and carrots were in there!

Start by holding them for just a few minutes in a calm quiet place and at the end of five or ten minutes give them a treat. They love whole carrots, tops and all. Gradually increase the time after a week or so and they will learn to trust you.

We have had 2 little guinea pigs and loved them both. They, like most animals, need consistency. We always took our pigs out of the cage at night, held them for a little bit while their cage was cleaned and then we put them back in with their reward of a Vitamin C tablet. One pig loved those vitamin C more than the other but they will get used to you and they will be fun pets to have.

A tan and white guinea pig.
Caring For Pet Guinea Pigs
Pets Guinea Pigs AdviceJuly 8, 2009
Ebola Virus Test
Ebola Virus Charities
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a Blanket Recipes