Spider Dogs For Campfire Cooking

Don't make plain old hotdogs over the fire when you are camping, make SPIDER-DOGS! Place hot dog on a flat surface. At one end, cut lengthwise all the way through to about 1/3 of the way up the hot dog. Give a quarter-turn and cut all the way through again (if you looked at it head on, you would see a cross-cut). Do the same to the other side. Put the stick through the uncut centre of the dog and roast over the campfire. The 'legs' will cook first and curl up making a 'spider dog'. Kids love these!

By Catherine B from Ottawa

We don't go camping but this sounds like so much fun for kids and the young at heart for our backyard BBQ's. Can't wait to try it.

And for the "SPIDER" BUNS? My grandson would eat one, cook two more and use them for frisbees !! lol

He can make a toy/game out of most ANYTHING, the stinker. I'm trying to enjoy him before he grows out of the TWEENS. The other day he picked up a

church music book and asked me seriously if I'd play him a "HUM", after reading the word on the cover, "HYMN". That story has been all through the family now. He's about to outgrow funny things to keep in a journal. I regret not doing it, being too busy trying to educate him. lol God bless the next campfire/cookout with "spider dogs" Knowing him, he'll become Spider MAN, his favorite character STILL, and climb to the top of a tree with his "spider dog" in his teeth. : )

Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping CookingJune 20, 2007
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Campfire Cones
Making Campfire Cones
Cooking over a Campfire
Cooking over a Campfire